awd ecotec cav? - Page 3 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: awd ecotec cav?
Sunday, February 23, 2014 10:07 PM
Even if the transfer case is a 1:1, you still need the same ratio in your rear diff as your front drive wheels. (By rear diff I'm talking back at the rear wheels)

Otherwise the front and rear will be trying to rotate at 2 different speeds.

It's the same in a 4wd vehicle. If you regear the front diff, you need to regear the rear, regardless of the transfer case...

Monday, February 24, 2014 11:12 AM
strat81 wrote:Even if the transfer case is a 1:1, you still need the same ratio in your rear diff as your front drive wheels. (By rear diff I'm talking back at the rear wheels)

Otherwise the front and rear will be trying to rotate at 2 different speeds.

It's the same in a 4wd vehicle. If you regear the front diff, you need to regear the rear, regardless of the transfer case...
It's completely different in application in a RWD/4WD vehicle, though. In those vehicles, there is not a diff in the transmission, so of course you have to have matching gear ratios in both diffs. (Trust me, I'm far to familiar with this in 4WD trucks...regearing gets expensive as hell!)

In this instance, the transaxle has a diff in it which gives the FDR for the front wheels. This transfer case gets it's drive post diff.

Look at the blow-ups again. What I'm saying is that in these cars, the matched transfer case and rear diff would give you a net 1:1 ratio from the output of the transaxle to the rear drive axles. After looking at the internals, I don't see how it could be any other way in this setup. PJ suggested that the diff was moved to the transfer case in the XWD setup, but when you look at the blow-up, there is definitely no diff in it, just the straight drive from the input to the output.

I would really like to get my hands on these parts to confirm, but I don't think this is as complex as everyone is making it out to be.

I wanted to address the inner/outter spline configuration that PJ mentioned, too. This is because the transfer case takes the drive directly off the diff housing, but the passenger side front axle still gets the drive from the spider gears. If this was not the case, you'd have a f*cked up situation where the left front wheel was trying to balance with the 3 other wheels by itself (if this explanation is clear at all)...So the front wheels have the differential spider gears separating them, but the housing itself drives the transfer case, then to the rear differential, so the rear wheels are separated by their own set of spider gears.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, February 24, 2014 11:17 AM

Monday, February 24, 2014 11:39 AM
You could try looking on this site http://www.salvage-cars-for-sale.info

If you found a wrecked saab you could pull the parts off it and there are some pretty good deals on there depending on where you're at. I hope someone makes this happen cause it would be pretty sweet!

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE Sedan 2.2l Ecotec 4 Speed Auto.
Monday, February 24, 2014 4:44 PM
Actually looking at the evo setups you may be correct. It looks like the fdr is in the trans and the transfer case/diff are 1:1.

Subarus need matched diffs to the trans but they don't run a seperate transfer case...

Monday, April 14, 2014 3:58 PM
I was hoping to have more to read on this subject....oh well just a bump from me I guess

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 10:02 AM
Until one of us gets their hands on the parts, I think we've come to a stand still.

I have really fought with the desire to do this on my car, but I've got some house projects coming up, and I can't put any more serious money into vehicle projects, so I'm definitely not doing this any time soon.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 7:43 PM
I have a few questions about the 9-3 swap is it just the manual version that would work? Or would the automatic work as well if it was from a 2.0 turbo xwd model? And is it just the sedan of would the wagon work too? I was looking around to see if I could find any parts and I found this salvage 2009 Saab 9-3 2.0 turbo with a manual trans but I don't know if it's and awd one or not I can't do anything with it but here is the link to it.
Saab 9-3 manual

Here are the other 9-3s I could find with the 2.0 turbo the rest of these are auto but I'll post them anyway in case they would work if not just disregard them
Auto 9-3 sedan
Auto 9-3 wagon
One more auto sedan this one is cheaper too.

I hope this is helpful

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 7:52 PM
I should add that I don't know if any of those are the xwd model but they have the 2.0 turbo and I was only worried about the manual one anyway since it is a 2009 2.0 turbo manual 9-3 I just wasn't sure about wether it was awd or not but it meets 75% or the criteria

Thursday, May 29, 2014 10:49 AM
Why don't you contact the sellers? I don't see anything indicating XWD, but one does have an A after the 2.0 T, which could possibly have been them starting to type AWD.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 11:12 AM
I don't have the money to try this yet or the skills to be the first one to make an awd j body. But I figure if someone else was looking or interested if post what I found.

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 10:39 PM
I'm going to look into a 6-speed evo viii conversion. This has been intriguing enough to go "extravagant" so I'll see what I can dig up in my research.

Sunday, January 19, 2020 1:11 PM
Follow my build here

Subscribe to my youtube channel for updates as I go into this build. The thread will be updated and be the official How-to as I go.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search