Instrument cluster - swap a base with a tach? - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Instrument cluster - swap a base with a tach?
Tuesday, February 22, 2011 9:55 PM
I searched back three years and didn't see a thread about this. I picked up a '97 Cavalier (base model, manual transmission) and it has the base cluster (speed, fuel, temp). The speedometer doesn't work, so I'm going to swap it. Can I put in a cluster with a tachometer without issue?

Re: Instrument cluster - swap a base with a tach?
Wednesday, February 23, 2011 7:07 AM
Yes. You can swap clusters with no issues. Tach will work just fine.

C:\Users\Phillip\Pictures
Wednesday, February 23, 2011 9:36 AM
Awesome, thanks.
Wednesday, February 23, 2011 10:28 AM
If i could add to this... do you have to have one from the exact year or just the model 95-99, 00-02, 03-05 or which will interchange

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 2:34 PM
Is the check engine light on too?

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Wednesday, February 23, 2011 3:14 PM
No check engine light. The speedometer and odometer are inop.
Wednesday, February 23, 2011 3:57 PM
you have to keep your year range
for clusters its 95-97 and 98 and 99 some 98s have the 97 cluster then its 00-05

JBO since July 30, 2001
Wednesday, February 23, 2011 5:27 PM
NOTa2_4 wrote:you have to keep your year range
for clusters its 95-97 and 98 and 99 some 98s have the 97 cluster then its 00-05

True. I used an older one in my '99 and the fuel gauge wouldn't work so there are some incompatibilities between year ranges.

Friday, November 25, 2011 5:13 PM
I have a 99 sunfire would the gauges from a 2000 or newer work for my car?
Friday, November 25, 2011 5:30 PM
brian penney wrote:I have a 99 sunfire would the gauges from a 2000 or newer work for my car?

NO. Read above posts.

Sunday, December 04, 2011 10:21 PM
Just to clarify, my sister has an 02 with no tach, I could install a cluster with a tach and the tach would work correct

Sunday, December 04, 2011 10:26 PM
Mike Brake wrote:Just to clarify, my sister has an 02 with no tach, I could install a cluster with a tach and the tach would work correct

yes, plug and play. 2000-2005 cluster from either a cavalier or sunfire for that year.

Sunday, November 18, 2012 12:06 PM
Awesome. So I could swap in a tach cluster in this 2001 base sedan I bought, and it should work fine. I assume the odometer reading is stored in the ECU and will remain at 12xxxx or whatever it was before? Also, will it cause any issues with passlock? I'm thinking maybe I should swap clusters before I start working on that problem. The odometer on this thing is impossible to read as is, I see 12xx5x and that's it, the 3-4-6th digits are illegible.
Sunday, November 18, 2012 4:13 PM
00+ is stored in the BCM so you can swap out any 00+ cavalier of sunfire cluster and it will work
you like the red light get sunfire you like the blue light get cavalier both interchange and no wiring changes

THIS ONLY EVER APPLYS TO 2000-2005 ALL OTHER YEARS ARE DIFFERENT BETWEEN CARS AND YEARS

JBO since July 30, 2001
Saturday, December 01, 2012 5:34 PM
This information is also in the interior faq if you would look there...

Have a nice day.
Sunday, December 02, 2012 6:58 AM
yeah but some can't read or search at this post shows

JBO since July 30, 2001
Wednesday, November 26, 2014 5:49 AM
Hi I am sorry to ask this so late but I have to know. My cluster on my 05 Cavalier quit working due to step motor. I have read that the clusters from 00-05 are swap and plug with no programming needed. My question is will miles still be the same if I disconnect the battery to take dash out so air bags don't go off? I want to put in a rebuilt cluster but do not want my miles reading wrong. From what I have read the miles are stored on bcm. So if bcm loses power does it lose the miles? If anyone who has done a swap on a 00-05 cavalier could please help me or guide me that would be appreciated. Thanks
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search