Question about relearn procedure - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Question about relearn procedure
Thursday, April 02, 2015 5:19 PM
Hello all, I pulled the cluster from my 1999 RS and am trying to install it into base sedan. Let me give you a little background info. When I originally pulled the cluster from '99 I broke the tab that powers the lights, I would plug it in and everything would work well except the lights on the cluster. Of course everyone told me it couldn't be fixed and yada yada. Anyhow, I fixed it. everything on the cluster works as it should, lights and all. However, it throws my car into theft mode. I've tried the relearn and it doesn't seem to be working. Is there anything else I can try to fix it. Thanks all!

Re: Question about relearn procedure
Friday, April 03, 2015 8:34 PM
Either the plug could be loose and the resistance in the circuit changes throwing off the theft system or your ignition switch could have given you issues at the same time. you can try three things,

new ignition switch

disassemble the old one, clean with acetone and apply new die-electric grease

or bypass the switch's internal resistor by taking the three wires that go to the base of the switch and soldering a 2.2kohm/2200ohm resistor from the bcm side of the yellow wire to the bcm side of the black wire. The easy way would be to take the restor and stick the pins into the holes of the connector but this is not very solid and may shift and come loose. I happened to have a male plug to fit the connector so i soldered the resistor to that and just plugged it in. If I got a new ignition switch I could remove my plug and attach the new switch. The resistor doesn't have to be exactly 2.2kohm, this is just the middle of the acceptable spread, I believe the full spread is something like 1.5kohm to 3.4kohm. You can probably salvage one from old electronics.

Mind you after all of these you will have to do the relearn.

My sig- "Doing what needs to be done, although satisfactory, is a far cry from what can be done."
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search