04 cav clutch master or slave - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
04 cav clutch master or slave
Thursday, April 30, 2015 3:51 PM

hey guys my first post here just had a question since i found out this car has a concentric slave.

i was on my way to work a few nights ago and the clutch started to fell a little soft and engaged really low in the pedal, so after getting to work i parked it then before i left to go home i found out that the reservoir had cracked and lost its fluid, so i drove it home with no clutch and changed the reservoir. after alot of pumping and bleeding i got pressure back and the clutch worked great but i let the car sit the rest of the day and went to leave for work that night and the clutch hit the floor again and absolutely no pressure.

after looking again the hose leaked where it met the res but again i refiled and patched it up and now i get fluid from the bleeder but no pressure on the pedal

what would be the best bet to change here or how to properly test the master and/or slave

i also noticed when i bleed the system that if i left the cap off it would spit fluid everywhere back up in the res and now ive noticed the only way to even slightly get clutch pressure is if i plug the hole in the res and then have someone press the clutch. its not enough to disengage the clutch but enough to feel it so im guessing its the master thats dead?

Re: 04 cav clutch master or slave
Friday, May 01, 2015 12:46 AM
I have found our hydraulics to be a real pain to bleed. Sometimes you just need to rinse and repeat a few times. Alternatively, a cheap vacuum bleeder will make it go MUCH smoother. I would start with trying to bleed by vacuum and go from there. If you are not still losing fluid, your slave is fine, they will leak when shot.

Friday, May 01, 2015 7:49 AM
How long have you had this car. It is a defect that gm never recalled. You have to replace that whole line that burst on you. They rub on fender seam. And you cant patch it to much preasure. I believe a clutch master cylinder comes with the hose when new. Good luck
Friday, May 01, 2015 10:19 AM
ya i dont have a vacuum bleeder as of yet but i have been using my pressure bleeder on it to no avail im getting a good flow out of the bleed screw but the only thing that happens when i press the clutch is the fluid squirts up in the reservoir. also noticed if you press the clutch with force it sprays out of the res an hit the hood lol
Friday, May 01, 2015 2:55 PM
Carl Calvin wrote:How long have you had this car. It is a defect that gm never recalled. You have to replace that whole line that burst on you. They rub on fender seam. And you cant patch it to much preasure. I believe a clutch master cylinder comes with the hose when new. Good luck

ive had it a little over a year now but the line on this ones still good no leaks in it at all just cant get clutch pressure the fluid just pumps right back into the res
Thursday, May 28, 2015 11:07 AM
ok so finally getting back to this car. after some messing around ive realized that if i pull the quick connect from the slave i can bleed the system and have full pressure and after i reconnect it to the slave the system works until i let the car sit for about 5-10 minutes then its dead on the floor again. so im guessing thats a slave issue but haven seen any leaking from the tranny/motor seam but i cant think of any other part that i need to replace so am i right on thinking that?
Wednesday, July 22, 2015 1:30 AM
I had a similar problem a couple of years ago. I had the clutch replaced but the slave cylinder crapped out only after a short time, course the warranty was long shot ...pedal went straight to the floor while i was driving.

I pulled over turned the car off, and pulled the pedal up when i heard and then saw the puddle of brake fluid leaking out of the housing...confirmed my worst fear. Slave cylinder crapped out on me.

Got a new one direct from the dealer - German manufactured . have not had an issue since.

Just replaced the master cylinder too last month for the first time at 235,000 miles. Noticed the pedal travel was nearly to the floor before the clutch would engage/disengage. also saw bits of rubber in the clutch cylinder reservoir.

be very careful with the quick disconnect clips...I wound up using a micro flat tip screwdriver from Auto Zone they sell at the register for $1.99 that pushed that pin right out and was able to pop the hoses into the master cylinder no problem.
Saturday, July 25, 2015 5:03 AM
if your not getting fluid coming out of the tranny case, then it is likely the master.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search