Instrument cluster wiring request - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Instrument cluster wiring request
Sunday, May 10, 2015 5:21 PM
Can someone provide a link for the wiring diagram,1998 Sunfire instrument cluster wiring/bcm pin out? Temp and Tach bottoming out and all warning lights come on, then off., repeatedly Thanks
Ron
Canada

Re: Instrument cluster wiring request
Monday, May 11, 2015 6:50 AM
All of those things you listed are part of the UART data stream. It's the brown wire going to the cluster.
My money would be on the cluster having an internal issue with it's processing, not a wiring issue going to it.
I'd be looking at a replacement.

Monday, May 11, 2015 11:04 AM
Agreed. Our clusters are known for being unreliable.

Thursday, May 14, 2015 4:53 PM
Thanks guys for the info on the cluster, looks like I'll be visiting the salvage yard. As to my original question..........does anybody have a link for the wiring schematic or connector pin out of this instrument cluster? Also, what years did the wiring stay the same for these clusters?
I know there is very knowledeable people in this forum and and I appreciate ALL input!

Ron
Canada
1998 Pontiac
Sunfire GTX
Thursday, May 14, 2015 5:02 PM
Click on link below to view

Your text to link here...

Forgot to add this, its from 1997 Cavalier.....Would this be the same as my 1998 Sunfire? The reason I ask is there is no Brown wire, just a Tan (UART Data) wire.
Sorry for the double post, my bad!
Tuesday, May 19, 2015 1:14 PM
I have the pinout somewhere for the Sunfire. If I can put my hands on it, I'll post it up for you. However, if you look in the V6 swap sticky, I think I posted the 95-99 Cavalier cluster pinout. The wire colors should all be the same, but the connectors are different, and the pin positions aren't necessarily the same. The 95-99 Cavalier and Sunfire clusters are electronically the same, but they used a different connector for them between Pontiac and Chevrolet for some reason. As for your compatibility, you need to get one with the same type of odometer (mechanical or digital). If you have a digital, you can only get a cluster from a 99 or a 98 with a digital (mid-year change). If you have a mechanical, you can get one from any 96-97, or a 98 with the mechanical odometer.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search