grand prix gt 3800 auto in a 4spd auto 2.2 02 cav - Page 3 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: grand prix gt 3800 auto in a 4spd auto 2.2 02 cav
Friday, June 20, 2014 6:47 PM
At some point I will get some black vinyl to continue the line created by the u-channel trim. as you can see the right side clear is less than desirable.

My sig- "Doing what needs to be done, although satisfactory, is a far cry from what can be done."

Friday, June 20, 2014 7:16 PM
I also want to get these. I know they stick out a little farther than I would like aesthetically but it would minimize the blind spot. Not to mention they have blinkers. For the winter I would want them heated, I will have to make some heater coils. http://www.modifystreet.com/95-03-chevy-cavalier-2-dr-power-mirrors-ferrari-f430-style-yellow-led-signal.html

My sig- "Doing what needs to be done, although satisfactory, is a far cry from what can be done."
Sunday, June 22, 2014 12:41 PM
For the exhaust tips i decided to go with your idea of cut outs in the bumper. I saw a mustang today with u cut outs and messed up chrome bezels. made me think, gee for like 15$ he could snip some sheet metal and rattle it with grill paint until he had the money for new chrome bezels. I am going to put a 3-5" black strip of sheet metal on the lower edge of the bumper and do cutouts. I might follow this strip around the whole car.

Monday, June 23, 2014 8:08 AM
skoronesa wrote:oh btw, I put in the 2nd gen tail lights wednesday, here are two pics. a one and one comparison(excuse the sun), and both swapped.
FYI, those aren't 2nd gen tails. They're 3rd gen, just the earlier version. 2nd gen is an entirely different car body wise.

As for the exhaust, I guess I'll have to wait and see, but it doesn't sound like a great idea to me.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 5:08 PM
What doesnt sound good? I don't mean holes through the bumper, just the usual semicircle cut outs. The left side already has one, its just a matter of making one on the right side. As for the strip, i already have a piece of galvanized steel and access to an infinite shear and a 9 foot bender. At first i will use molding tape to try it out with some safety wire on the lower edge incase that fails. Black on red seems to be an easy theme. I already blacked the chevy symbols with vinyl and i have black u trim on the door edges, above the headlights, and the trunk edge.

Thanks for letting me know about the generation btw.

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 7:13 AM
skoronesa wrote:What doesnt sound good?

skoronesa wrote:...gee for like 15$ he could snip some sheet metal and rattle it with grill paint until he had the money for new chrome bezels. I am going to put a 3-5" black strip of sheet metal on the lower edge of the bumper...I might follow this strip around the whole car.

That. I don't think a strip of sheet metal across the bottom will look good, but it's your car.

Thursday, June 26, 2014 7:42 PM
It won't just be a strip of sheet metal. I will bend it at a 90 and curve it to match the x-z axis curve of the bumper bumper. the y-z will be square. like i said though, just moulding tape for now, if i don't like it i will remove it. I was looking at the zzp s/c kit, in a couple years I will have to do one of those.

Monday, August 18, 2014 3:14 PM
So is the dream complete... Where are updated pictures.... Or is this just another one of those ill talk all day about it but when it comes down to it, its just talk.....

Erik Packard
Thursday, August 28, 2014 6:09 PM
@Ricozero, as much as I'm sure you would like, no it's not just a dream.

it's taking a while but the grand prix engine has been out and the cavs old engine came out wednesday. He says he wil be welding up the new subframe soon.
Attachments
IMAG0641.jpg (1328k)

Thursday, August 28, 2014 6:12 PM
In that picture you can see my schaweet 01 malibu seats, or at least the drivers.
I was thinking about swapping the steering wheel from the gt to my cav, is that even possible without some custom machined parts?
Attachments
IMAG0640.jpg (1286k)

Saturday, September 06, 2014 10:15 PM
My mechanic has gotten the rad supports and bumper off and the engine hoisted into place so he can fabricate the subframe and brackets. he says the gt subframe has a couple mounting holes that line up so he only has to make a bracket to move the other one over.

Saturday, September 13, 2014 7:41 PM
The water pump is being replaced as it may be the original and has 114k on it. once the engine is in it will be difficult to change.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 6:02 AM
Brake line, valve cover gaskets, and shift cable all got changed this week. When I left yesterday he was about to start welding. I will stop by this after noon to take pics of any sub-frame work hes done. Slowly but surely this is happening. Very slowly.....

My car needs new quarter panels all the way around, the bottom 3 inches of each have holes. I looked up quarter panels and they are very simple, no curves or anything. I started a new job about a month ago, I am a sheet metal workers apprentice, I am not paying 36$ for something a highschool student could make when I can get a 4x8 of 30ga for 30$ through work not to mention free scraps.
http://www.andysautosport.com/quarter_panels/chevrolet_cavalier/2002.html

The louvers I had wanted to make are now even more of a possibility. At this new job we have a cnc plasma cutter. The program for it is quite easy to use. I don't know how much thicker gauge sheets would be as I would only buy a couple pieces but I don't think it would be much.

I was looking at fenders and might get these: http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/Extreme-Dimensions/Fenders/Chevrolet-Cavalier-Duraflex-Z3-Fenders-_-2-Piece-_-103432/900625/

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 6:02 PM
Here are pics of the engine in the bay. I was in a rush and he had customers so I didn't ask him to lower it for the pictures. In the first you can see his fancy aluminum engine jig. In the second is the only mount attached so far. It is the lower drivers side transmission mount. The bottom two holes lined whilst the top of the bracket got hammered flatish and a new hole drilled. The next mount will be the lower passenger side which also sort of lines up but but not as much, after this it's all custom mounts.

Friday, October 24, 2014 9:12 PM
Lower passenger side mount and a side view of the engine cradle that got started today.

Friday, April 03, 2015 8:26 PM
Phone is having issues so I will have to upload pics later but the axles have been installed, new shocks and struts, and the radiator will be going in as soon as thin enough fans are found. also drilled and slotted rotors have to go in. It is so excruciating waiting this long. I got bored of driving my truck so I bought a 2000 grand am se 2.4 for 300$. If it dies the suspension will be swapped to the cav. If it lives it too will get a 3.8 and most likely get supercharged. My mechanic has a 2002 buick century with a 3.4 in his lot, ~100k. Some old guy had a stroke and decided to get rid of it. Would likely be a sweet deal but I can buy a grand am with a 3.4 so I will probably go for 3.8 supercharged.

Anyone know of a fan that would be thin enough? We may just modify the cavs fan housing to fit or have to buy an after market slim fan.

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 1:03 PM
So did the Pipe dream turn out.... still no pictures assuming its not done

Erik Packard
Saturday, December 19, 2015 6:53 AM
Correct, still not done. I don't call it a pipe dream but I understand it is taking a really long time. Since this project started we have had a third child, gotten a new house, I am now on call 24/7, and my wife is finishing her college classes for her nursing degree.

The engine is in and the subframe is complete. Al the motor mounts are in. The front wheels have been hooked up. The next step is the radiator fan and the new bumper/radiator supports. Once the front is on the fabrication is done. My mechanics mother died like 4 months ago so between that and my life I haven't bothered to stop by in like 2 months. and it's not like he doesn't have other customers. It ticks me off but it's not really a priority and when it's "done" it's not like I would feel totally safe with the kids in it whom I usually have every moment I am not working.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search