Ignition Lock Question - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ignition Lock Question
Friday, September 04, 2015 7:20 AM
Quick question , hoping there might be another with this kind of issue and some advice.

I have an '02 Sedan. When I bought this someone had rigged a push button starter switch to the starter motor. Thinking it was a simple ignition switch issue , I picked up a couple from my local salvage yard and had a go at fixing this. I can hook all the wires up and place a screwdriver in the ignition switch and start the car right up, but when installed the lock barrel will not turn fully to engage the starter circuit. It will turn enough to allow all other circuits it engage and function correctly.

Scratching my head - I had no choice but to reassemble everything and leave it all as it was. So is this a common fault 3rd Gen issue, or am I dealing with something bizarre ? I also considered the possibility that one of the interlocks may be out of adjustment.

Definitely something I can live with if I have to, but was thinking about picking up another steering column when I make another yard run if that might be the solution. I've got to replace the heater core in this one so everything has to come out for that and I can easily swap a column while I am in the neighborhood.

Thanks for any advice

Re: Ignition Lock Question
Sunday, October 18, 2015 7:06 PM
Replacing the steering column fixed the ignition lock problem. Replacing the column also tripped the PassLock and required the PassLock Relearn Procedure. Must attempt to start engine then leave ignition in the on position for 10 minutes, turn ignition off for 5 seconds - repeat this procedure 3 times to initiate the computer re-learn program. '02 Starts and runs properly now!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search