2001 door sagging - pins ? - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2001 door sagging - pins ?
Wednesday, January 20, 2016 6:57 AM

Hey. Driver's side door on a 2001 5-speed manual COUPE (2-door) is causing problems. Damn near destroyed the latch and had to use a whole can of WD-40 to work it back in to shape but it is still all smashed-up inside. But the root cause is still there - the door sags like an old lady. Its got to the point where I hate to close it anymore but I am in and out of that thing 100 times a day. I have read a bunch of threads on here dealing with the topic, but still can't find the final definitive answer about whether you can get the pins out (they appear to be smashed-down and mushroomed on the ends and I don't see a clip anywhere) and just replace those pins for a few bucks - OR - you have to spend a lot more and replace the whole deal. The auto parts stores all seem to sell just the pins and bushings so I am confused. Just the latest crisis as I reach 198K coming up on 15 years with this car.

Current / ongoing problems - leaking coolant, leaking oil (clutch replaced 1 year ago - what a disaster that was), outside/recirculate door broken - real fun in the winter!, clutch pedal sometimes turns into a rock and doesn't move - most fun while driving. And about 100 other little things that make it like playing russian roulette every time I get in the car and turn the key.

But I didn't win the powerball last week so she's all I got.

Thanks for any info on the pins / door sag for this car - remember it's a 2001 coupe.

Thanks

Re: 2001 door sagging - pins ?
Wednesday, January 20, 2016 10:16 PM
T!M8!T Online
My doors sagged too. U can make adjustments by loosening the bolts on the hinges but ultimately the pins need replacing. U need to grind the smashed pins off and replace with new

ReD RaiN
Friday, January 22, 2016 4:11 AM
I hope this helps, but I don't know if the 3rd Gen cars use the same hinge type.
I just bought these to replace my rollers and pins on my 88 Coupe. Rockauto doesn't have any more of the original GM rollers. I ordered 6 but they only had 5 left and I got those. The roller's pin have to bought in packs of 10, but they are cheap. The hinge pins are Dorman and are suppose to come with the 4 bushings shown in the picture. One pack out of the four I bought only had the two smaller bushings.

You can check Rockauto to see if these are the same parts your hinges use. If Rockauto doesn't have the roller, use the part number at ebay or somewhere to see if you can get some.

You'll also need a spring removal tool. http://www.ebay.com/itm/AES-Industries-Door-Spring-Compressor-Tool-For-GM-Cars-and-Light-Trucks-/321698569694?hash=item4ae6ba9dde:g:YhkAAOSwF1dUQz6D&item=321698569694&vxp=mtr

Good luck
Attachments
Roller and Hinge Pin.jpg (1110k)

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 10:21 AM
Bumping this up as I don't visit very often, but a cheap & easy replacement for the worn door hinges on a coupe is...the rear door hinges from a sedan.
They are used much less often, the doors themselves are lighter so they wear less, and they are a direct bolt-on on the same side.
Easier access to change if you remove the front fender and swap one at a time. You'll still need to fidget a bit to align them properly so that the door seals against wind noise and water.

My website
Pete's Place
Friday, July 01, 2016 6:30 AM
Pete has it right. Also, you could try to check the local yards for an entire coupe door matching your color if the damage to your door latch is too much. The yards are full of 2000-2005 Cavs these days. I think we are at "peak cav" for the 2000 to 2005 cavaliers at the moment at least for all of the yards here in the mid-Atlantic region and sadly now past peak cav for the 95 to 99s. In another 10 years or so for the most part I think there will only be the people here on J-body.org.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search