new fuel pump,relay + filter no prime/ no fuel/ no start - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
new fuel pump,relay + filter no prime/ no fuel/ no start
Monday, November 14, 2016 4:37 PM
My now wife let her 99 cavalier sit for 2 years with fuel drained, filler hose removed and numerous fuses pulled so no one could steal it. Have started to see if I can get it going again.
2.2 has spark, power to relay, had to replace fuel pump (was corroded + filter section broken off), cleaned tank, new filter and new relay installed. I have power + ground to corresponding relay connections. Showed a forward O2 sensor code last year when I first looked at it I believe. Engine runs when gas is poured into throttle body. All connections are clean at pump location (looks like a new car underneath).
Was thinking to blow out lines and recheck all electrical connections.
Any one think of something stupid I may have missed?? I suffered a Traumatic brain Injury and lost a good chunk of my memory, had been a mechanic for 20 years at same garage and worked on hundreds of Cavaliers prior to my injury.
I would greatly appreciate any insight.................

Re: new fuel pump,relay + filter no prime/ no fuel/ no start
Tuesday, November 15, 2016 8:39 PM
Will if the tank was drained an air was allowed in, the lines may be shot now. You should never let a car sit with no fuel in it as moister will form and rust everything from the inside out. Also with it open to air who knows how much moister and debris go in there. I would try and blow the lines out. I would check for power and ground at the pump.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Wednesday, November 16, 2016 2:04 PM
Yeah, you and I know that but she was clueless! She was so worried someone would steal it while she was away she attempted to make it unusable!
She caused more problems than the car is worth, I'm the one stuck fixing the dam thing!
Blowing out the lines and rechecking all electrical connections were my next steps. Hopefully I find something at pump connection......

Thanks for the help
Thursday, November 17, 2016 12:55 PM
Got it running but sending a miss fire code for #2 cylinder. I had changed plugs last year when I went through car quick.
Hope it's just a coil problem
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search