3800 SUPERCHARGED SWAP INFO - Page 6 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 3800 SUPERCHARGED SWAP INFO
Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:23 PM
i did but the spot where they accually come out of the motor it points right at the strut tower

Saturday, June 27, 2009 10:31 PM
I say ditch the a/c, more issues than worth getting it working, but that's me, best of luck getting it to work.

Sunday, June 28, 2009 9:35 PM
well i have been thinging of doing this swap i have a few questions though i picked up a 90 something buick park ave with a 3800 supercharged in it it does not say serries 2 so i guess it must be a series 1 will this work and what are the differences between the two also i have a 2.2 in my 96 cav what must be done with the clutch and flywheel one more thing the buick i got vas a burned up wire harness only in the dash i wont need this will i thank you for any help you can give me.
Monday, June 29, 2009 5:26 PM
OH god WHY are people asking about the old 3800 if you get the motor cheap its still not worth it the 3400 makes more power then the series 1 motor makes

96 trans is junk its made of gummy bears and chocolate milk basicly you have nothing for the swap everything you have its not worth doin the swap

JBO since July 30, 2001
Monday, June 29, 2009 5:38 PM
hey take it easy on me man i was just wondering well if you dont mind could you tell me the difference inbetween the two?
Monday, June 29, 2009 7:20 PM
ryansomething wrote:hey take it easy on me man i was just wondering well if you dont mind could you tell me the difference inbetween the two?

Read some more... really, do it.

Monday, June 29, 2009 8:30 PM
ryansomething wrote:hey take it easy on me man i was just wondering well if you dont mind could you tell me the difference inbetween the two?

the world is the difference

Monday, June 29, 2009 10:03 PM
Why even bother with a series 1 when you could have a series 2 for the same amount of work with way more power. Worth the extra money for the series 2, big time. Spend a little more time looking around, I found a complete rear ended olds LSS with a series 2 for $100. They are out there just keep your eyes open.

Wednesday, July 01, 2009 6:18 AM
cost ranges i think isaak got jeff a motor for 500 but i got my entire donor car for 700 then jeff got his flywheel for i think 60 bucks but mine cost me 100

prices are all over the place you just have to fine one and ask youself is this what i want or do i keep looking and risk paying more but could pay less

mike did a series 1 swap then he ended up doin a 2 in a different car. seires 1 isn't worth it at all and the isuzu trans isn't either. i know some people like to use what they have but why not build it so you don't have to rip it apart right away. transmission change involves dropin the subframe meaning you have to support the engine from above and will also need a hoist. the engien and trans attached will slide in from the top but the trans wont come out the top with the engine in there

just anyone reading these post this is for information gathering and take this post seriously DON'T use a SERIES 1 or ISUZU TRANS

i have jeffs flywheel here right now i will post up some pics of it i don't have any one it before machining but i got some of it after and shes pretty

JBO since July 30, 2001
Wednesday, July 01, 2009 8:23 AM
well i guess if your dumb enough to build a series 1 3800 car then you have 1 big upside you dont have to worry about breaking motor mounts

Wednesday, July 01, 2009 10:51 AM
Jeff's motor cost 650.... pretty much complete, other places they are over a grand easy, it is clearly different everywhere you ask, so you cannot base a certain price on what this swap will cost, it all depends on what you do/modify/customize, etc...

Wednesday, July 01, 2009 12:19 PM
my second motor cost me 300 with 100k and it was very complete with every thing

Wednesday, July 01, 2009 6:39 PM
Has anyone ever used the 5 speed getrag off a second gen cavy with a 3.1? It might be geared a little better given it has a 3.61 final drive, first gear may actually be useable. I think for this trans tho you would need custom mounts correct?

Wednesday, July 01, 2009 7:26 PM
can be used there harder to mine and you will have tlo screw with the mounts and such thats the best trans to use i looked into it only found a 250 000km one and i said no friggen way

if you can find a good one get it and the linkage/slave with it, then you will still have to machine the camaro flywheel to the same spec and order a 3.1 clutch

JBO since July 30, 2001
Wednesday, July 01, 2009 8:21 PM
Thanks, I've seen quite a few of them around here, I used to have one on the garage floor forever but i sold it a few months ago (figures).

What about the hydraulic clutch line. Does the older line fit into the newer slaves, or do I need the slave from the second gen as well? They are pretty similar, I havent seen a second gen slave in a while but i wouldnt be suprised if it bolted in place of a newer one.

I have a good sunbird getrag 5 speed but the bellhousing is diffrent, so even if i found a high K 3.1 5 speed I'll just swap bellhousings. Maybe even swap in a limited slip while its apart.

Thursday, July 02, 2009 6:01 PM
After reading this page....I have the urge to eat gummy bears and drink chocolate milk! lol Post up those flywheel pics Matt!! I think Isaak and I are going to try to meet up this weekend. I got too busy last weekend catching smallmouth bass at the cottage and lost track of time haha

Friday, July 03, 2009 12:52 AM
What drive shafts would I have to use if I went with the second gen getrag 5 speed? I think second gens are narrower, maybe 00+ drive shafts would be the solution?

Friday, July 03, 2009 8:45 AM
i was going to use a second gen but the slave and master cylinder are way different i couldnt get the master cylinder to fit down on the firewall so i used the the 3rd gen master cylinder and the 2nd gen slave and the ratio wasnt right
so im not sure if you can make t work without cutting your cowl

Friday, July 03, 2009 2:12 PM
use the slave for what ever trans you get

as for shafts you can use any shaft that works for length i would start off using the 2nd gen shafts for that trans however if it has the equal left drive shafts yourgonna have a b*tch of a time getting them to clear the oil filter area even with the intense relocation kit

the spline count is the same for 2nd and 3rd gens its the length that changes

JBO since July 30, 2001
Friday, July 03, 2009 6:00 PM
Equal length won't work with the intense relocation bracket, i can almost ensure that, long axle....... well I will find out shortly if it clear's or not.

Friday, July 03, 2009 7:46 PM
So how fast are these 3800 sc cavs? I am really interested in doing the swap!. I would love to make my daily a lil more fun to drive and surprise some people. What you guys running in the 1/4 mile with stock SC3800?

02 Cavalier Z24- Free CAI I made, magnaflow muffler
02 Trans am ws6 - Pace setter long tube headers, off road y-pipe,magnaflow exhaust, slp lid, bored polished throttle body, throttle body by pass, some other free mods, jegster lower control arms. best ET 12.7@112mph Heads/Cam in future

Friday, July 03, 2009 7:50 PM
depends on what mods and if you can hook up traction is the biggest issue

as for your other post re-read page 1

JBO since July 30, 2001
Friday, July 03, 2009 8:02 PM
What would be baseline times with getting traction like mid 13s?

02 Cavalier Z24- Free CAI I made, magnaflow muffler
02 Trans am ws6 - Pace setter long tube headers, off road y-pipe,magnaflow exhaust, slp lid, bored polished throttle body, throttle body by pass, some other free mods, jegster lower control arms. best ET 12.7@112mph Heads/Cam in future
Friday, July 03, 2009 8:07 PM
NOTa2_4 wrote:use the slave for what ever trans you get

it wont fit

Friday, July 03, 2009 10:31 PM
Joahua Cole wrote:What would be baseline times with getting traction like mid 13s?

stockish 3800 sc....... yes, mid/high 13's.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search