3800 SUPERCHARGED SWAP INFO - Page 7 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 3800 SUPERCHARGED SWAP INFO
Saturday, July 04, 2009 8:29 AM
I know a guy who ran an old isuzu external slave trans in his third gen with his stock slave and the pre 94 master. he swaped bellhousings to the older one to eliminate the internal slave and it worked fine so i dont see wht the older externatl slave getrag wouldnt work with the 3rd gen slave

Saturday, July 04, 2009 9:21 AM
i'm pretty sure the north star swap used that trans in his 3rd gen it will fit but it may not be a direct swap some modifying may need to be done, i don't know for sure those as i never got that far into the research on it

but if its an equal length shaft trans you will have an issue around the oil filter location. if you have the filter in stock location like i do you will hit for sure if you get the intense 3800 oil filter relocation kit you with have clearance issues around the fittings atleast from what i saw of isaaks car your best be its to use the 00-02 getrag as stated on page 1

JBO since July 30, 2001
Saturday, July 04, 2009 11:00 PM
Thanks, anyone ever looked into a smaller filter to fix the clearance issue or is it really in the way.

I might have found a 00+ getrag tho, trading an isuzu for it since i have 3 isuzu's taking up space on the floor.

Saturday, July 04, 2009 11:05 PM
Smaller filter won't change a thing, its hitting the side of it, the length of the filter isn't the problem.

Sunday, July 05, 2009 5:51 AM
im running a relocate kit it was 30$ from summit

Sunday, July 05, 2009 6:01 PM
that relocate kit from summit will hit just as much as the stock filter will as it uses the stock oil filter bracket

the intense kit isaak has removes the stock oil filter neck and has lines come out of it

its not the shaft that will hit its gonna be the CV part of the equal length shaft that will hit. on a 00 trans that CV part is near the flywheel on th equal length shaft ones its near the crank

you will have issues runngin gthe equal length shaft trans on this swap because of the oil filter, 3400 is different oil filter isn't in that spot

at this point i can't see any way around it, isaak has some space to clear on his but will likely rub so i would total get that trans out of your mind

JBO since July 30, 2001
Sunday, July 05, 2009 6:51 PM
i just had a problem with my filter hitting a little on the subframe that was my only reason for relocate

Monday, July 06, 2009 1:46 PM
I will find out if it rubs this weekend if all goes as planned, I too think it will hit, and it sucks because I will have to come up with a plan to fix it... not easy.

Monday, July 06, 2009 2:18 PM
isaak did you go with a pedistal mount, rather than dogbone?

Monday, July 06, 2009 4:15 PM
You can see how the motor is mounted by the picture below, 2 motor mounts and 1 main trans mount, along with the upper stock trans mount. Those motor mounts are extremely strong, hold's the motor up without a trans holding it on the other side.

I will be running dog bones in the very near future, just because it will see plenty of track time and I want it as solid as possible.

Monday, July 06, 2009 6:21 PM
When using the older getrag trans could you not use an 00+ getrag driveshaft instead of the intermediate shaft and such? I dont see any reason why that wouldnt work, as long as the intermediate shaft dosent bolt on like the w body's do. but on my sunbird getrag trans its dosent.

Monday, July 06, 2009 6:53 PM
may be able to i don't know just ditch that trans completely unless you wanna be the one to find out if it will work i can tell you this in isaaks first pic you can see the issue

the jack shaft attaches to the block (may have to drill and tap holes to mount it) right beside that black 1" plate ( intense relocation kit) the in that space between the blue fittings and the stock K frame bracket you have to have a CV hub sit the and be able to move without rubbing. THAT IS THE PROBLEM aswell as the jack shaft hasn't been confirmed if it will mount to a 3800 block without some modifications

you would be better off researching if the F40 gears and be installed in an F23 trans and doing a custom trans if you wanna tweak the gearing just ditch the 3.1 trans idea with the 3800 swap it will bolt on but will require a f*ck load of work that may not even work just go with what we know works

JBO since July 30, 2001
Monday, July 06, 2009 7:06 PM
I would not try to fit a jack shaft in that space, 2 reasons, no place to mount it and of course the CV would rub... a lot.

If my long shaft does not clear, I am replacing those full flow fittings with 90* NPT to AN fittings, probably the way I should have went in the first place but someone has to do the r & d for things that have not been done before I guess.

Monday, July 06, 2009 8:17 PM
i made my car using the same mount platform i did if so i wouldnt have to make dogbones and a radiator support

Monday, July 06, 2009 10:01 PM
I was just suggesting the longer driveshaft for issak cause it looks like he was thinking if using the older trans, I've got a 00+ getrag coming. I'd love an F40 but there so expensive.

Picked up my donar car today finally, got it in the garage. Decided i want to rebuild it and do it right. Anything to look for when tearing these engines down? I did a search but all i really found was the intake maifold gaskets are known for being bad, anything else?

Tuesday, July 07, 2009 11:30 AM
Not really, bottom end is strong as bull.

I am using a 00-02 Getrag btw and will be using the longer shaft, not a jack shaft.

Tuesday, July 07, 2009 7:52 PM
can you believe the guy talking sh!t in the performance forum about this

Tuesday, July 07, 2009 8:30 PM
Has me thinking of scrapping the 3800 swap and going ECO............. because it is apparently God's gift to GM... uh huh.

Wednesday, July 08, 2009 5:43 PM
yeah what a tool

rebuilding isn't a bad idea but if the motors in good shape don't worry about it

the intake gasket isn't that bad but replace it with the new style GM gaskets

old ones were black plastic with rubber injected in the problem with these is the plastic cracks, GM has changed the design to aluminum with rubber injected they made this change for series 3 but there the same gasket so they have disco'd the old style

i have the new style in my car now

visit zzperformance.com cheap prices on that stuff and fast shipping

JBO since July 30, 2001
Wednesday, July 08, 2009 8:42 PM
The engine is suprisingly in great shape and runs like a top, compression checks out fine and everything but i'm a little worried since it has 471 thousand kilometers on it.

Thanks for the link I was on that site before and lost the link. Never checked out there store before, they have awesome prices. Will definatly be doing a full rebuild after having a look at that.

Also cause I'd like to eventually go turbo with it and push it a little harder. May never happen, but I'd like to know I could.

Thursday, July 09, 2009 3:12 PM
if everything runs fine then kms mean nothing how do you know its all orginal 471 is high to be orginal but if any GM engine can hit that it would be a 3800 not sure if many SC 3800 do because people usually beat on them but if the compression and theres no abnormal noises then don't worry about rebuilding it

JBO since July 30, 2001

Thursday, July 09, 2009 9:49 PM
Has a bit of a top end tick to it but nothing terrible, it was $100 I'm not going to complain. I know the guy who used to own it since new. Older guy, had about an hours drive to work everyday. So its a lot of highway miles, then his daughter started driving it and got rear ended and it sat in there driveway for a year and I picked it up.

Power steering pump whines but its low so I'll top it up and see if the whine goes away. If not thats definatly being replaced before it goes in the car. Do you guys do anything with the power steering reservoir? I noticed its a bit of a PITA to get at when the engine is in the olds, whats it like in the cavy? I was thinking of extending it up top and making a dipstick for it if its to tight.

Friday, July 10, 2009 7:46 AM
on the cav the motor sits forward a bit and its pretty easy to get at

Friday, July 10, 2009 1:11 PM
mikieb510 wrote:on the cav the motor sits forward a bit and its pretty easy to get at

maybe in your case mines a dink to get too i have to use a plng neck funnel to fill it mine sits level with the frame rail in the 3rd gen jbody

replace the couple if your SC is making noise before the engine goes in get the green ZZP one

JBO since July 30, 2001
Friday, July 10, 2009 3:31 PM
You mean the coupler? Might as well do the bearings to while I'm at it, they're only another $20.

Actually I know a guy selling a buick with a L67 in it but the SC bearings are going. After seeing that site, thats only a $20 fix. I should go scoup that car up to.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search