3800 SUPERCHARGED SWAP INFO - Page 9 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 3800 SUPERCHARGED SWAP INFO
Monday, July 27, 2009 4:43 PM
more so when they say you have a stepped flywheel and you don't thats even funner right isaak

JBO since July 30, 2001

Monday, July 27, 2009 7:08 PM
Stupid Bully, I talked to Joe about the step, he says he has it like that for the break in process, and he too says that step is so small it wouldn't affect anything at all, especially the slave blowing out.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 2:33 PM
after seeing shawns clutch and what you are goin through will bully i'm glad i went with spec have had no issues

when do you get your new clutch

JBO since July 30, 2001
Wednesday, July 29, 2009 3:59 PM
NOTa2_4 wrote:after seeing shawns clutch and what you are goin through will bully i'm glad i went with spec have had no issues

when do you get your new clutch

That's the $812 question......... They have the other clutch and ps now, so I am hoping I see the 2200 parts next week, I am calling them Friday afternoon, get some answers.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 7:55 PM
my spec works great

Saturday, August 01, 2009 3:15 PM
see bully fawked up they had his flywheel and pieced together a clutch that doesn't do anything but blow the bearing out

WHEN ANYONE ORDERS A CLUTCH FOR THIS SWAP JUST ORDER THE FOLLOWING
2000-02 Cavalier/Sunfire
2200 OHV
Stage 3 minimum
(Spec i would recommend the 3+)

what they did is they gave isaak a 3.1L pressure plate and getrag bearing, and a clutch disc that we have no idea what it is from but they made this combo because they said his flywheel was stepped and it wasn't then they wont replace the clutch with the right one because its a custom clutch and its opened. he never asked for a custom on bully said it had to be this way and it failed

now he has to shim the flywheel or the throw out bearing.

don't ever tell the clutch company what your doing because they will fawk up the order basicly his clutch is designed for this swap if you don't machine the flywheel down to .84 if you leave the flywheel at camaro thickness (1.14) then this clutch would work perfect i think its what the fiero guys are using. glad to see bully stands behind there product, so glad i went with spec i have had no issues and i i do have issues its because i'm getting close to its maximum torque rating

JBO since July 30, 2001
Saturday, August 01, 2009 5:34 PM
Bully has done quite a few of these, its not new to them, but for some reason this flywheel threw them off for who know's what reason. Apparently the "custom" clutch and pressure plate are proper for my setup and my goals, it is the spacing of the flywheel or the slave that is incorrect, the bearing does not come into contact well enough with the pressure plate. What I am doing is starting with a 3/8" spacer behind the slave/throw-out bearing. If it still blows, I will then shim the flywheel out, which is a common thing to do in custom setups (non OEM parts).

I told Marcor, the distributor to send out the clutch kit asap, didn't care what it cost, and told them to shove the slave up their ass, I will sort that out myself, @!#$ them and their warranty @!#$, it was the bully installation and the non verbal information that should have been given to me that caused the slave to blow, not my installation error(s).

In the end, Matt is correct, just order a SPEC, Bully are morons, they won't even sell me a off the shelf stage 3 because it won't hold, they REFUSE to sell me something I have already paid for, go figure, @!#$ heads they are.

/End rant/

Edited 3 time(s). Last edited Saturday, August 01, 2009 9:35 PM

Sunday, August 02, 2009 9:02 AM
hahaha isaak definatly shim the slave first if you try and shim the flywheel that much you will have issure for sure like starter teach wont line up right and so on

JBO since July 30, 2001
Sunday, August 02, 2009 9:15 AM
I was thinking of ditching the starter and adding a 20's Ford crank............. that would be different.

Wednesday, August 05, 2009 7:18 AM
Even though you are having these issues, I will still be going with Bully. I have seen WAY too many Spec failures for my liking. The only issue you have with yours is that its a "custom" setup. I will be ordering the same one I was always going to order, one for a 2000-2002 2.2L. U think you are having issues with Bully? Try talking to Spec about anything warranty and get back to me.

Wednesday, August 05, 2009 2:46 PM
Nah, I pass haha. Darren, please do not tell Bully what you are doing, just tell them you have a 00-02 non eco 2.2L and you want a stage X... otherwise, good luck, they REFUSED to sell me a stage 3... even though cash was already paid, that's how inconsiderate and unhelpful they are... and that is just part of the story, but I am making this custom clutch and pressure plate work, I will shim the the flywheel the amount of the difference of my pressure plate and a stock 2200 is, see what happens.

Wednesday, August 05, 2009 3:29 PM
if you have to shim it too much isaak you may have to get a camero flywheel and not machin it i think thats the difference you need if you have to shim it too much thats probably your better option then sell you flywheel to say darren since a 2200 clutch will work with it

its like every company they got your money they don't wanna deal now,

JBO since July 30, 2001
Wednesday, August 05, 2009 4:44 PM
I already have my machined flywheel here. I already told my guy what I wanted, he quoted me and in a few weeks, I will order from him. He knows, 2000+ 200 stage 4 clutch with upgraded pressure plate

Wednesday, August 05, 2009 7:29 PM
I really don't think i will have to shim it much at all, the slave holds pressure for a bit so I know it seals, it just loses it's seal and pops... I will find out this weekend when I take the measurements of the stock 2200 pressure plate, I just need to see how much pressure is on that slave, obviously not as much as it should have. What really bothers me is that the flywheel is the correct spec, nearly perfect, and Bully puts fault on it.

Worse comes to worse, I wasted $1600 and I will buy a Camaro flywheel and SPEC clutch... or just burn the damn car.

Wednesday, August 05, 2009 7:33 PM
What is this SPEC failure that I always hear about? Mine's got 50,000 miles on it, had at least 40,000 of that with the 2.2, heavily abused before I put the 3400 on top of it. Mine still grabs great. It's only a stage II and i put down 193whp on the dyno. But I always see people talk about how a SPEC is going to be an instant (or nearly instant) fail.

Jon Mick wrote:
i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum.

Thursday, August 06, 2009 3:13 PM
I think its a hit or miss, perhaps a certain batch, not sure if it was a certain stage too? I here a lot of good things about SPEC, normal DD drivers and some weekend warriors pushing 800/900hp..... it's the same with all good brand name company's, everyone has their qualities and their misses.

Thursday, August 06, 2009 4:27 PM
i got 15 000km on mine and i have the stage 3 and i abuse it and i DD it, apparently people have had the springs pop out

JBO since July 30, 2001
Thursday, August 06, 2009 8:42 PM
Yeah, I beat mine like it owes me money. Maybe it's the stage 3's? I've seen a lot of mention of those in particular.

Jon Mick wrote:
i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum.

Friday, August 07, 2009 8:00 AM
i dont think so mine gets the hell beat out of it and its stage 3 it seen alot of beating although it only has 2100 miles on it

Friday, August 07, 2009 1:31 PM
Perhaps someone can chime in with some specifications... my flywheel does measure .83", it's supposed to be .84" checked 6 times, not kidding, so the flywheel is fine, Bully claims otherwise.... I guess their calipers need recalibrating.

From the crank face (back of flywheel) to the top of the forks, where the throwout bearing will be touching, measures 2.251"... this varies slightly as every fork is either higher or lower than the next, but all within a very small amount.

I will be measureing up a stock 2200 pressure plate on Sunday, but if anyone can beat me to the punch with specs, I would appreciate it.

Also, some pics......

Monday, November 30, 2009 7:25 PM
Bump for sticky Because I feel charitable.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 10:03 AM
Will the series 1,2,&3 all work for this swap?
Wednesday, April 13, 2011 6:14 PM
if you put in a 1 your wasting your time and might aswell go buy a civic CX a 3 can be used and to be honest best choice but harder to find and you have to change out the Throttle body to a series 2 or modified TB and need the wiring from a series 2

JBO since July 30, 2001
Wednesday, April 13, 2011 11:28 PM
Ok guys.....it's this option or drop in the 4.3 from a 97 s-10, 3.8sc, or just rebuild my stocker 2.2 for my 97!!!! Let the voting begin!!!

Take no prisoners!!!!!
Thursday, April 14, 2011 2:16 PM
This is for 3800 swap info, not a poll for you, make your own post.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search