2004 Cavalier filling gas keeps popping the nozzle off - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2004 Cavalier filling gas keeps popping the nozzle off
Saturday, July 14, 2018 6:46 PM
Hi all,

When attempting to fill up the wife's Cavalier, the nozzle keeps popping off. Can run maybe a gallon and half before the pressure relief pops. Turns out, this has been happening more and more often over the year. The car doesn't get driven much, maybe a Max of 3,000 miles a year for the past six years. Only about 115,000 total.

I've tried blowing a can of air down into the vent hose. Not much difference. During the next fill. Happens at different stations.

I found videos and articles online about this happening with other make/models, and it could be just a clogged vent tube or maybe worse, the evap canister.

Has anyone had this happen and is there anything I should look out for other than removing the vent tube and maybe the evap canister?

Re: 2004 Cavalier filling gas keeps popping the nozzle off
Thursday, February 20, 2020 12:19 AM
I know this is an old post but maybe I can help....

with the age of the car the best thing would probably be to replace the charcoal canister and run some compressed air through the vent tube. generally this happens when the canister gets fuel in it from filling the tank and when the nozzle stops to keep adding gas to "top it off" then raw fuel gets into the canister. The canister is meant for gas fumes not gas.

hope this helps.
Re: 2004 Cavalier filling gas keeps popping the nozzle off
Friday, February 21, 2020 10:01 PM
Had this happen to me too. Never fixed it jus found if u put the nozzle only a part way in seems to help a bit

ReD RaiN
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search