Front hubs - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Front hubs
Sunday, September 18, 2005 4:17 PM
How hard is it to replace these?

Do I need any special tools or what?

1983 Camaro Z28

Re: Front hubs
Monday, September 19, 2005 12:34 PM
The bolts the hold the hub on are a T55 so you will need a T55 bit.

KevinP (Stabby McShankyou) wrote:
and I'm NOT a pedo. everyone knows i've got a wheelchair fetish.

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 11:53 AM
Um, yea... what is that?

Some type of socket, what?

1983 Camaro Z28
Wednesday, September 21, 2005 3:52 PM
a torx bit

Thursday, September 22, 2005 1:38 PM
What will I need that for? The calipers? Or is it something else. Im getting the hubs tomorrow, and hopefully will be replacing them this weekend.

God I hope this fixes the horrible road noise I have,.

1983 Camaro Z28
Thursday, September 22, 2005 5:02 PM
my front left one just died on me... i feel your pain. you'll need some torx bits, a big ass hex bit for the calipers, and a general set of metric sockets. if you've got the tools, its easy, as im told. im getting help from a friend who is an ex-GM technician.

this useless post brought to you by the alcoholic known as LUNDiS

Thursday, September 22, 2005 11:20 PM
Yeah-those are easy to replace.

-Remove the brake caliper with the hex bit and tie it out of the way so you dont break the line.
-Remove the brake rotor.
-Remove the axle nut and use a brass or lead hammer to pound it loose-dont try to pound it out all the way because there isnt enough room for that to work. You just want to get it loose.
-Remove the three torx bolts with the torx bit. Very important-You will want to note that there are three holes in the front of the hub. They are different sizes! One will be bigger than the other two. You want to use the bigger of the three holes to take the bolts out or it will not go as smooth. Make sure that the torx bit is all the way in the bolts and straight and break all three loose before taking them all out. Again-make sure to use the bigger of the three holes.
-Now for the tricky part-using a brass or lead hammer, pound the hub out. You have to hit it from the side but with a slight angle outward to pound the hub out. You will want to switch between sides so that it comes out straight and doesnt get stuck.
-Once the hub is out be sure to wipe out the dirt from the hole the hub mounts in. Put the new o-ring on the new hub and install it. Use the bolts to tighten it in but make sure to do it evenly. Also, make sure to get the axle into the hub so nothing gets jammed up later.
-Tighten the three hub bolts but make sure that it all goes in straight and that the hub is fully seated where it should be.
-Tighten the axle nut and put it all back together.

Have fun and if you run into any problems and cant get help feel free to call-262-903-6507.

Boosted 97 2.2L 5 Speed
Boosted 3.4L soon to come
Friday, September 23, 2005 10:37 AM
Wow, thanks for the instructions man. Nicely detailed.

This will be my first time doing hubs, so this should be fun. And if I need help, I have mecganically inclined friends. I got your number in my cell just incase though. Thanks again man.

1983 Camaro Z28
Saturday, September 24, 2005 10:44 AM
i changed the hubs on my 96 cavi ... about three months ago .... only took about 30 mins .... cuz i needed to go to the store for some ... tools...

but yes it pretty simple to do
and it was my first time ....

Saturday, September 24, 2005 1:23 PM
It took me an hour and 45 mins or so to do mine.

Was pretty darn easy. Alot of the time was spent looking for tools, test driving after replacing one hub.

The hubs were my problem though, there is absolutely NO road noise, except for my muffler.

Now I'm not emberassed to have a passenger in my car while driving, it was even making alot of noise in town while driving. I no longer have to yell to talk to the person next to me. Wow, today is a good day.

1983 Camaro Z28
Tuesday, September 27, 2005 1:12 PM
Yeah replacing the hubs are easy, i just hate the price tag that comes with them

Thursday, June 22, 2006 6:37 PM
Hi im replacing the right hub bearings on my sunfire. What size is the axle hub bolt. Dont have one that size it seems and dont want to guess while at the store thanks.
Friday, June 23, 2006 4:51 PM
Im pretty sure its a 30mm socket. The caliper bolts are T50, and bearing T55.

--Tap the axle in with the nut screwed on about half way on the nut (so you dont damage the threads) to free the splines from the bearing. This will make it easier to get the hub off.

I would use the socket and go by the torque specs for the axle nut, i do mine at 100 ft lb. That nut is what holds the bearing together, if it comes off, it wouldnt be good. Dont hammer the nut on and off, bad idea. Can cause premature bearing failure or your wheel passing you up.

01 cav w/01 3400 gam gt 4t45e

Friday, June 23, 2006 5:07 PM
Dude, honestly.. don't replace just one. Do them both. It's always better to do things in sets of two.

1983 Camaro Z28
Friday, June 23, 2006 9:49 PM
I ended up replacing the one side. Took forever the hub was frozen in there. I hammered away at the hub and only half of the bearing part came out. The bearing sleeve was super stuck still. I had to use a big metal bar and sledge hammer it out from behind and take the drive axle out. It finally came out. took about 4 hours. But its been in there for propably 10 years so what do you expect. Dam rust.

Dont know if that makes sense cause its late. ZZZZZZZ
Saturday, June 24, 2006 12:28 PM
The axle socket you need is a 30mm.

Doing the hubs is actually quite easy. The first time sucks, but after that you'll become a master at it. Sometimes after the hub has been on the car long enough it likes to stick. If the bearing is bad enough and you pull on it like I did, it'll just fall apart, and part will still be stuck to the car. So a chisel might be something you need. Make sure you've taken the axle nut off before you try to do this, or you'll get nowhere.

Air tools make the job a lot quicker.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search