manual tranny problems - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
manual tranny problems
Thursday, October 13, 2005 6:44 PM
i've got a 98 chevy cavalier with about 74k miles on it... my problem is that when i try to take off in first the car just goes THUNK THUNK THUNK...and almost wants to die when i try to take off... it almost feels as the the tranny is catchin on something and is messing with the axle... i dont know how to explain it.... recently i just had a new tranny put in... it has about 26k on it so i'm wondering if its something in that... or could it be that i have bad cv joints? any ideas let me know plz

Re: manual tranny problems
Friday, October 14, 2005 8:34 PM
seems like the same problems i'm having, it just happens when i start driving, then it gets back to normal. I have no clue what it is, changed the spark plugs and fuel filter and no luck.

Saturday, October 15, 2005 6:50 PM
sounds like a weak clutch to me and isnt grabbing to is full potential. does the rpms drop to like 500 or 600 when you release the clutch then jump up a little when you start to move forward
Monday, October 17, 2005 9:17 AM
i dont have a tack so i dont really know... its only when i start off in first and let off the clutch... like i'm letting off too fast but i'm not.... must not be grabbing right
Monday, October 17, 2005 10:38 AM
ya sounds like the clutch to me maybe the flywheel is shot
Monday, October 17, 2005 11:44 AM
possibly...idk hmmm
Monday, October 17, 2005 12:40 PM
mine did that and i ended up needing a new tranny

If your name is Mr. Crunch, and you joined the Navy, would you eventually be Captain Crunch?
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 8:17 PM
hmmm interesting
Friday, November 18, 2005 4:16 PM
the shop probibly f-ed up putting it in I know like 4 people that has had retarded problems like that over tranny jobs not putting the cv's in right and having them fall out while driving and not bolting the tranny to the tranny mounts (this was my prob) not the cv prob but after I had my second tranny job after awhile it started to jerk around bad once I started to drive it normally cause I took it easy for awhile really easy because it felt weird I looked around and the top tranny mount wasnt even on at all and the second one was I dunno know it was in but I remember somthing was up bolt not in all the way or somthing I fixed it though and it got all better it just thudded bad like a bad mount when you step on it thud you could even hear and feel it pop around corners and harder brakes im surprize it didnt mess even more stuff up thats why I do 99% of my own car work I dont trust many other mechanics out there
Wednesday, November 30, 2005 11:52 PM
Quote:

pe·ri·od (pîr-d)
n.

The full pause at the end of a spoken sentence.
A punctuation mark ( . ) indicating a full stop, placed at the end of declarative sentences and other statements thought to be complete, and after many abbreviations.

learn it, use it.

14.82 @ 97 mph
Thursday, December 01, 2005 9:14 AM
/\/\/\/\
he isnt trying to learn to spell
he is helping the issue this person is having,
if its not about the problem then dont post.
back to the subject

if you want to find out if its the clutch. giver @!#$ through 2nd, shift into 3rd quickly and keep gunning it
if your engine sounds like its doing some high rpms but your are not going anywhere its your clutch.
if you had a tach you would see your rpms go to like 4000 rpms but doesnt feel like your accelerating, that shows the clutch is slipping
and if it is slipping, you well also smell burning clutch, you have a bad clutch .
but if your clutch is grabbing good and not slipping while flying through the gears then it could be flywheel or tranny like stated before.
good luck

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search