2.3 sohc head swap - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.3 sohc head swap
Wednesday, December 21, 2005 2:54 AM
I have a 1995 Z24 and the engine is dead. A friend of mine have a skylark with a sohc 2.3l. Can I use this block and put my dohc head on it? Do I need to modify something?
(I tried some search but no results).

Re: 2.3 sohc head swap
Wednesday, December 21, 2005 5:28 AM
That engine is ***** even if you put the DOHC head on it.

You can look for an Ho engine in a junk yard or at www.car-parts.com. You'll have a nice 180hp engine.

So minor modification will need to be done but easier than swapping the DOHC head on the OHC head.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 8:25 AM
hes right..avoid that SOHC at all costs..just put it outta your mind..find a good HO head on ebay or car-part.com youll be MUCH happier with it

FACT : Statistics show that you are more likely to to be hit by lightning than to die street racing.
FACT : It is our American RIGHT to own a GUN but not to drive a car.
"Those who would sacrifice freedom for saftey deserves neither Freedom nor safety!" - Benjamin Franklin
"The real destroyer of liberties is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch
Wednesday, December 21, 2005 7:16 PM
whats faster a ho or a 2.4 with the ho throttle body and cams? cuz this kid is claiming hes running mid to low 14s now its a sunfire se with the gt engine 5spd and a straight pipe and intake.
Wednesday, December 21, 2005 7:43 PM
the HO is faster..hands down

FACT : Statistics show that you are more likely to to be hit by lightning than to die street racing.
"Those who would sacrifice freedom for saftey deserves neither Freedom nor safety!" - Benjamin Franklin
"The real destroyer of liberties is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch
Tuesday, December 27, 2005 3:01 PM
If both engines are placed in the same car, the HO has 30 more HP then the 2.4...... and the HO should be the faster.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Wednesday, December 28, 2005 1:25 AM
SpeedRacerZ wrote:If both engines are placed in the same car, the HO has 30 more HP then the 2.4...... and the HO should be the faster.

Well.. technically......if you put on the new HO TB, and manifold + cams.. would it not be comparable.. ? (still it does not have the compression ratio of the HO.. but meh.

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Wednesday, December 28, 2005 2:34 AM
I usually don't make generic posts but...

4 Cylinder DOHC Technology > 4 Cylinder SOHC Technology

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Wednesday, December 28, 2005 7:15 AM
Quote:

Well.. technically......if you put on the new HO TB, and manifold + cams.. would it not be comparable.. ? (still it does not have the compression ratio of the HO.. but meh.
the HO still has better compression, better exhaust manifold..smaller lighter crank pulley,no balance shafts, and have you ever seen an HO head?

Thursday, December 29, 2005 10:23 AM
it would be closer but the ho would take it

2000 Camaro V6.
| SLP Loudmouth | CAI Intake | HID's |

Thursday, December 29, 2005 12:15 PM
compression of the 2.4 and 2.3 HO isnt but a half a point off in the 96-98 and 1/4 point off in 99-02

you could use the 2.3 bottom end if your looking to get buy for a little while

but getting a HO would make the car the most fun

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 2:17 PM
just get a 3400 it will fit and its a v6
Tuesday, January 10, 2006 5:21 PM
i would agree if you use the ho cams and the ho head and the ho tb, might aswell use the whols block make it easier on your self, and if you have the whole block out you can do your borrme end, and have tome to set up ithe top end, i say go ho i know i did, w41 for project "BETTY" just looking for a head right now,

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search