Engine has Multiple Ramdom Misfires Help - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Engine has Multiple Ramdom Misfires Help
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 11:18 AM
Ok my girlfreind has a 98 Caviler with the 2.4 quad4 and it started giving her all kinds of problems. Ok it had 5 trouble codes the other day I fixed all but 3 of them. Here is the problem it still has a multiple ramdom engine misfire code and well it won't idle for crap. I checked for spark and it has it on all 4 cylinders it has fuel s far as I know oh, and it has good compression on all cylinders about 210psi plus minus 5 psi between cylinders. It had 2 other weird codes one was a crankshaft position sensor malfunction or some like that but the code has not come back and the other one was the camshaft position sensor output level high and it also has not come back. The codes I fixed were becuase the IAT sensor decided to go MIA on me and cuased a nasty rich condition. Any help would be greatly appreiciated as this car has me stumped

Re: Engine has Multiple Ramdom Misfires Help
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 12:41 PM
Might be a bad battery or alternator.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 4:22 PM
I will check that but I don't think it will be the problem as the battery held fine through the compression test. It could be the the altenator putting out AC instead of DC. Oh one other thing it has an ETS light that is on it is located next to the Check engine light what is function I have never heard of it. Man I don't know what is wrong with it as I have never seen anything like this my entire life and I know my Quad4s man do miss that Beretta GTZ quad4 5spd.
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 6:57 PM
ETS is the Traction Control, meaning that its off, inoperational, for reasons im not aware of, but i think it does it sometimes when the Check engine light is on, because IIRC, the two are related, the engine will bog itself to stop tire spin.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 11:00 PM
Misfire eh? Check the plugs.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 12:14 AM
Put brand new plugs in when I checked the spark and compression. Is there anyway the crankshaft position sensor could be at fualt or maybe the camshaft position sensor as it did shoot out trouble codes for both but when I reset the ECU they did not come back just Ramdom multiple cylinder misfire code. It has spark on all 4 cylinders is there anyway it could still be the ignition probably not as it does not appear to be retarding the timing or advanceing it to much. I will play with it some more in the morning. I appreceate your help so far keep the idea coming I know I have to be missing something here I will also check the fuel pressure to just incase as I have seen some crazy stuff in my day
Monday, January 09, 2006 1:31 PM
Ok is there anyway to check the Fuel Pressure as I replaced the filter and it was dirty like crazy so and the car will now idle alittle bit and if you pump the gas it will stay alive so I think it is the fuel pump. I looked on the fuel rail and did not see any schrader valve on it. Please help and thanks for your advice.
Tuesday, January 10, 2006 5:08 PM
check the spark plug boot things. them are 20$ to replace. does the white coil pack housing have carbon tracking on it? if so replace that.
dont run bosch plugs, stick with AC delco.

good luck.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 9:22 PM
o2 sensor. thats what happened to me when i broke the wire on mine.

Nate

Evolution of Cavyboy-->C22t--> C24na--->c24s/c
1995 Cavalier W/2k1 Engine
GM S/C 13.940@99.78pmh w/2.068 60ft
Thursday, January 12, 2006 3:42 AM
Jake wrote:check the spark plug boot things. them are 20$ to replace. does the white coil pack housing have carbon tracking on it? if so replace that.
dont run bosch plugs, stick with AC delco.

good luck.

Also check to make sure that the coil packs have no burn marks on them and that the coil housing has no cracks in it.

Friday, January 13, 2006 9:56 AM
Joshua,s right, My 2.4 Sunfire CEL & ETS lights were on, pulled code (Bank 1, sensor2), fixed O2 sensor, cleared code, and ETS light went off. Good luck.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search