how does your j-body handle in the rain? - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
how does your j-body handle in the rain?
Tuesday, October 17, 2006 3:59 PM
stock or not my cavy never liked the rain. darts and dahes all over the road on radials or my rims. i just dont understand why i cant take turns or brake without sliding all over the road........

Re: how does your j-body handle in the rain?
Tuesday, October 17, 2006 4:03 PM
It's all in the tires. Get some directional tires, because they disperse the water and give you better traction.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 4:28 PM
my problem is the weight oof the car vs tire tread pattern and brakes allways get stronger in the rear when it rains. Directional tires are a nice fix and slotted rottars with better pads will clean the pads improved braking ftw

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 5:38 PM
i used to hate driving my cavy in the rain. i'm so glad i've got a truck now. i feel so much safer.

GO PATS!!!
Tuesday, October 17, 2006 7:15 PM
I have no issues other than it being low and pushing up a bunch of water sometimes...

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 8:50 PM
Its fine as long as I don't hit any standing water on teh freeway... then its hydroplaning all over the place

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, October 17, 2006 8:54 PM

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 11:23 PM
I thought it was just my car. I got some ok tires, no problems braking in the rain or taking off kind of fast. Like said above, its when I hit some standing water the car feels like it wants to swerve all over the place.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 2:42 AM
Quote:

Like @!#$

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 3:12 AM
Mine works perfect just invest in some good tires and don't drive like a @!#$ moron. Of course you can't make autocross style turns and stop on a dime no one can no matter the car, tires or brakes.

Disclaimer: Dey see me Trollin' Dey hatin' for trollin dey trying to catch me ridin dirty.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 8:51 AM
SHOoff wrote:
Quote:

Like @!#$

all 3 of mine

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 9:10 AM
mine handles fine in the rain. Its the other people on the road i dotn trust.

on the highway, If its pouring do the speed limit or below. Don't touch your brakes unless you intend to come to a complete stop and ease into accelerating. Follow those rules and you'll feel much safer

I may run 18s, but I can do your taxes in 10 seconds flat.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 9:12 AM
get some decent tires and dont drive like a moron.

mine does great in rain. snow too

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Wednesday, October 18, 2006 10:43 AM
mine handles like poo...basically you have o drive good..keep nice on the gas and brake and youll be fine and slow down when its super wet out..but i agree..they dont handle so well in the rain or snow compared to a truck..phil
Wednesday, October 18, 2006 11:48 AM
like @!#$ also... i have power slot rotors, akebono pads, directionals, and eibachs. once i hit them brakes even a little hard its over. hydroplaining all the damn time.

h&rs-rksport-magnaflow-ebc-stoptech-vss-jlaudio-jvc

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 12:21 PM
mine dont really have problem stoppping or cornering but trin to accelerate sucks, and then the traction control kicks in and makes it worse. i hate that crap. even cruise control on the interstate can break the tires loose while up to speed, but it would help if all the roads in my area didnt suck.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 1:48 PM
i have had no problems. in fact, ive considered it to handle pretty well in the rain...

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 4:07 PM
My vert handles like crap in the rain. I have Viva2 tires on it and even a little gas will break them loose from a start. Go 30, hit the gas hard, and they'll break loose again. As a general rule I don't use cruise control in the rain. Just brake gingerly, plain the braking ahead of time (don't worry about annoying the drivers around you), and don't turn sharply.

* Student of the University of Oklahoma. Go Sooners!
Saturday, October 21, 2006 2:31 PM
Mine does just fine the rain. I have Fuzion ZRi on my summer wheels and Firestone LH30 on my winter wheels and I have no issues at all in the rain with either tires on. If you are hydroplaning, you are either driving way too fast or have crappy tires. Hydroplaning is purely a function of speed and tire design and really nothing to do with the individual car itself.

Sunday, October 22, 2006 9:50 AM
mine used to slide every where in the rain right from the day i bought it. scrapped those @!#$ty RS-A tires and it handles pretty good now. the stock RS-A tires are the worst set of tires ive ever owned.

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/my2005cav/my%20car%20the%20bash.jpg
Sunday, October 22, 2006 10:01 AM
Cavie Freak wrote:Mine works perfect just invest in some good tires and don't drive like a @!#$ moron. Of course you can't make autocross style turns and stop on a dime no one can no matter the car, tires or brakes.

X2

my stock 14's with junk tires suck majorly, my 17" rotas with neo gens work extremely well in the rain

Sunday, October 22, 2006 8:32 PM
the goodyear triple treads ive had on my car the past 50000 mile are excellent tires in the rain. no exsaggeration (sp?) i can hit standing water on the interstate doing 70 and barely notice it at all and braking and acceleration are decent to and i dont have traction control or ABS.

they are about 120 a tire but well worth it for everyday driving and longevity and in the snow

The one, the only, ME.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 10:47 AM
My Firestone Indy 500's work fine in the rain.

My problem is brake fade. It must be the open wheel design (factory) but ever since the car has been new, if there is a lot of rain I need to increase the distance between me and the car in front of me.
Wednesday, October 25, 2006 11:06 AM
both my Z's did fine in the rain, get some good tires and dont drive like a retard and you'll be fine...

----------
@!#$ y'all...
Sunday, October 29, 2006 9:00 AM
mine handles like @!#$, then again with 24.5X8.0X14" slicks on the front and 24X4.5X14" runners in the back its expected LOL! the other cav handles good in rain unless you hit some deep puddles.

Sunday, October 29, 2006 1:37 PM
Manitoba Motorsports wrote:mine handles like @!#$, then again with 24.5X8.0X14" slicks on the front and 24X4.5X14" runners in the back its expected LOL! the other cav handles good in rain unless you hit some deep puddles.

uh, yea... because eveyone around here drives on 24 1/2" slicks....

Blew it up, build numbers coming soon
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search