Exhaust Options? - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Exhaust Options?
Thursday, February 07, 2008 12:19 AM
Any suggestions for a good sounding exhaust for the 3400? I got my swap done and im shopping for something unique. Would flow master sound decent?

COMING SOON! VERY NICE!

Re: Exhaust Options?
Thursday, February 07, 2008 2:35 AM
Flowmaster is always a good choice, IMO

Monday, February 11, 2008 8:03 PM
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v153/Slammed17s/?action=view¤t=HPIM0930.flv
http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p195/SunfireGTP/?action=view¤t=HPIM0952.flv
Engine: 3400 Stock
Pipe size: 2.5"
Cat: Magnaflow HiFlow 2.5"
Muffler: Flowmaster Crossflow(camaro style) 2.5" in 2.5" out
Tips: dual tips. 2.25" oval magnaflow

My 3400 Swap Page
Saturday, February 16, 2008 3:14 PM
Were you going for performance when you did this swap? If so Flowmaster is NEVER a good choice... You can always tell who would rather be sporting a mullet and a Camaro while banging thier sister when somone says Flowmaster is a performance muffler(or that they sound good on a 660 engine...) You want unique go with somthing that isn't baffled(Superturbo, Magnaflow, Flowtech Terminator, Warlock, Afterburner etc...) Get my point? they all outflow and out perform flowmaster.
Saturday, February 16, 2008 4:05 PM
Ryan wrote:Were you going for performance when you did this swap? If so Flowmaster is NEVER a good choice... You can always tell who would rather be sporting a mullet and a Camaro while banging thier sister when somone says Flowmaster is a performance muffler(or that they sound good on a 660 engine...) You want unique go with somthing that isn't baffled(Superturbo, Magnaflow, Flowtech Terminator, Warlock, Afterburner etc...) Get my point? they all outflow and out perform flowmaster.

LOL. Stereotype much?

Tool.

Flowmaster is an excellent muffler, and if you think that a Superturbo is not a baffled muffler, try again. Some people don't feel the need for a straight through unbaffled muffler, or the loud note of them. And going with a straight through is not at all unique on sport compacts. It is the most common choice, from people who are actually building a performance car, to the people who think they add 25HP when slapped on a 4-banger with no other mods.

Saturday, February 23, 2008 9:58 PM
I meant the design of the Flowmaster, not that it wasn't baffled. it is a @!#$ty design plain and simple, when you design a muffler that actually smashes the exhaust off the sides of the case and various baffles... You might as well leave the stock one on. I have built many an exhaust system on my vehicles... Straight through doesn't always mean loud, it just means you have to know how to choose your setup better if you want less noise and keep the flow. Everytime someone mentions Mustang, Camaro, Chev pickup, Ford pickup... it usually has flowmaster some place in the thread... Oh and trying to keep a flowmaster from droning inside... Holy @!#$, you might as well shoot yourself...
Monday, February 25, 2008 11:54 AM
now i have never heard a 60 series flowmaster (designed for sport compacts) on a cav but i have heard one on a 1.5 SOHC non vtec honda and it sounded good. not raspy at all.

i have heard a 40 series on a cavalier and it sounded like complete @!#$. my friend meant to order the 60 series but the 40 series is what showed up at his house

DO NOT get a 40 series..... raspier than all hell.

my .02

daily: 99 civic Si
deceased: 95 cavy '00 LD9 auto swap (vandalized)
Tuesday, February 26, 2008 12:13 AM
the 40 series is raspy on a compact because it doesn't provide enough backpressure for a small engine. the 60 series might be good. I can't say anything for the sound of it, but my car launched the quickest when it had a header with the stock exhaust behind it.
Tuesday, February 26, 2008 3:31 AM
On the 3400 the Flowmaster 80 series sounds pretty mean at idle. Though it's got a bit of raspiness.

Just looking through the vids on Youtube and the 3400 GA's with the SLP mufflers on them sound pretty good too. Don't seem to have the raspiness.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 9:54 AM
were they full systems or stock with a muffler thrown on them?

My 3400 Swap Page
Tuesday, February 26, 2008 12:18 PM
I'm pretty sure that the flowmaster 80 ones were just a muffler thrown on. Not sure about the piping size, but I know there was no resonator.

The videos with the SLP said "cat-back" but I don't see any Grand Am cat-backs listed from SLP. At either rate it's gonna have to be custom for us to use either of those.

Sunday, March 02, 2008 7:29 PM
Had a 40 series on the 2200, it wasn't raspy but droned like a @!#$. Backpressure means noting to an engine. Make sure you design it to scavenge well and run the pipe size best suited for the rpms you intend to run most, you will be fine. People need to quit thinking engines need backpressure(and it has no effect on sound either.) BTW, I have built a few systems Last count was 7 different ones since I have owned the cavi, my RX-7 runs straight pipes, my pickup is running true duals and flowtech glasspacks. One of the best mufflers I have run(flowmaster ish sound) was the Vortex V-baffle by supreme performance(Cherry Bomb) but again, drones like a @!#$ in the car. It is on my '90 Z-24.

I'd rather drive an A than push a J...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search