did 99 z24 verts come in manual tops ? - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
did 99 z24 verts come in manual tops ?
Monday, February 18, 2008 8:20 PM
so im ready to get a 99 red z24 vert. but it has a manual top.. does this sound rite ?

Re: did 99 z24 verts come in manual tops ?
Tuesday, February 19, 2008 5:32 AM
I'm pretty sure they were all electric tops. On the windshield header bar (right above the center mirror) there should be handle thats pops out. When you pop that down it will release the top from the windshield and when you pull/push it (forward or backward) it will control the motors to lift or lower the top.

Also, look in the trunk under the rear window tray,drivers side,in front of the trunk hinge. There should be a yellow plastic square hanging down with a black toggle switch in the middle of it. That is an emergency power switch. If the cars battery runs down you can flip that switch and it releases the power to the electric motors so you can lift or lower the top by hand.

"The FACTS are always subject to CHANGE once the TRUTH is applied"
"In the entire history of man the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked"
Tuesday, February 19, 2008 6:34 AM
john317(AKA Gary the Old guy) wrote:I'm pretty sure they were all electric tops. On the windshield header bar (right above the center mirror) there should be handle thats pops out. When you pop that down it will release the top from the windshield and when you pull/push it (forward or backward) it will control the motors to lift or lower the top.

Also, look in the trunk under the rear window tray,drivers side,in front of the trunk hinge. There should be a yellow plastic square hanging down with a black toggle switch in the middle of it. That is an emergency power switch. If the cars battery runs down you can flip that switch and it releases the power to the electric motors so you can lift or lower the top by hand.

ok i thought jbodys were power tops. thanks. how hard is it to replace the motors?

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 6:46 AM
Down load the pdf file that Ben posted at the top of the page. Look in section 10-9-3. It'll tell you all you need.

"The FACTS are always subject to CHANGE once the TRUTH is applied"
"In the entire history of man the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked"
Tuesday, February 19, 2008 7:10 AM
azncav 2.2 wrote:so im ready to get a 99 red z24 vert. but it has a manual top.. does this sound rite ?

damn owned!! what newbie responce . yay me for getting a vert.

RED 99 droptop Z24 im in the club.. i hope

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 7:38 AM
sounds like a nice addition. once you get a drop top youll be hooked for life!

and like john said, all 3rd gen J (and probably the other gens too) were power tops. if someone is trying to sell you one as a manual top, then theyve either done something to it, or the motors are dead and are just putting it up/down by hand. motor replacement is relatively easy from what i understand, although ive never done it myself.

95+ Cavalier and Sunfire Convertible Service Manual! A must read for vert owners!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search