possible ICM failure????'96 2.4L - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
possible ICM failure????'96 2.4L
Thursday, March 13, 2008 5:37 PM
hi guys;

this is my first post. i have a '96 sunfire 2.4L and its basically stock as my DD. i was driving today to school and made a left hand turn drove a km went to accelerate and BAM!! jsut instantly missing on two cylinders. my FPR has been leaking a bit starting a few weeks ago so i thought maybe it went completely and i had no fuel pressure anymore. anyway sorta luckily i was right in front of the GM dealer so i limped it in and we had a look. i was with the mechanic the whole time, who again luckily, is an old friend.

replaced the FPR which i had in my trunk waiting to go on, but i have been lazy ...... that did not change anything.

turns out cylinders 1 and 3 are not firing at all. which to me indicates that the coils are fine. if it were 1&4 misfiring or 2&3 i would figure it was a coil. anyway our conclusion was that its the ICM. i tried to search and found a lot of guys taking the ICM to autozone to test it but i am unaware of anywhee in ontario i can have it tested.

question is if i am diagnosing this accurately. i am not too farmiliar with the problems of these cars. the mechanic said this is not an overly common thing to fail on these cars... is he wrong??

i am goign to try to find a used ICM from the junk yard tomorrow since a new one is $380 dealer or $330 car quest. for now the car sits at the dealership. are there any tests i can do myself on the ICM. ie. specific voltages/ resistances to check??

car has 235000km on it and not much has been replaced. its basically almost all oem. (100 000km were put on by me in less than 3 years).

james

Re: possible ICM failure????'96 2.4L
Thursday, March 13, 2008 6:16 PM
first would be the housing that holds the coils then the Icm. He is right , very common. the coil housing more around here, seems that no one changes them till it screws up, Its like a distributor cap it should be included in a tune up. Do a search on the coil tower or coil housing. I have posted info several times. they internally short causing no spark on that post, its actually either going to another plug or to ground. Normally an Icm will shut down a whole coil, not half of one. I would go with changing the housing.

01 cav w/01 3400 gam gt 4t45e

Friday, March 14, 2008 2:16 PM
thanks for the reply and info. that's a way cheaper thing to check first. hahaa too bad my car just got locked into the dealership for the night/ possible the weekend. going to search for that info now.
thanks,

james
Saturday, March 15, 2008 11:55 AM
yep, do the white coil pack housing deal, then new plug boots and spark plugs while you are in there.

good luck

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search