BCM questions - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
BCM questions
Saturday, April 05, 2008 2:16 PM
So today i decided to swap the BCM from the stock on in my 00 Sunfire GT to the one out of the 03 Cavalier Ecotec car that i did the swap from./

I unplugged the original and plugged in the new one. waited for the passlock to relearn the new BCM. But it would not start?? i did the passlock relearn 5 times would not start anytime.

put the original back in and started up fine.

the reason i wanted to change was my car was originally equiped for ABS but when i did the swap the 03 did not have it so i swapped to the manual brake Master cylinder. i just wanted to get rid of the ABS light and Ebrake light on my cluster.

here are the differences in teh cars if it makes much of a difference

original 2000 Sunfire GT Manual Locks, Manual windows, ABS, Cruise, 2.4 5 speed

the other 2003 Cavalier Power locks, power windows, manual brakes, no cruise, 5 speed

did i miss any steps when i swapped otu the BCM??

Thanks

Greg

Re: BCM questions
Saturday, April 05, 2008 8:59 PM
DO you have the key lock cylinder from the other car?

FU Tuning

Saturday, April 05, 2008 10:43 PM
yea I believe you would need the lock cylinder because there are a few different ones out there in that they create a hall effect signal that the PCM uses to disable theft lock..

------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, April 06, 2008 6:39 AM
John Higgins wrote:DO you have the key lock cylinder from the other car?

No i don't and i got rid of theother car after i removed these final parts because my dad needed the room at his body shop

Friday, April 11, 2008 2:03 PM
I know that's its a very specific procedure for the 00-05 passlock. You need to do it exactly three times, and on the third time it will learn the new code. You have to turn the ignition off that third time as well, before you start it. If you try to start without first going to the off position, you have to do it all over again.

Sunday, April 13, 2008 9:58 AM
^Yes but will the the new BCM learn a *new* hall effect signal when the key is turn or will it wait until it see's the same one as what it was originally programmed for.

------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, April 13, 2008 3:22 PM
there has to be a way, what happens when the old lock cylender goes bad and you put a new one in, there has to be a way to re learn the new lock
Monday, April 14, 2008 9:06 AM
my buddy rewired his 1999 to a 2004 and did the eco swap and he did not have to change lock cylinders.

i tried again this weekend the BCM will not learn :S its kind of frustrating. the BCM i have was the matching one for the ECM I have oh well i can live with the lights though

Monday, April 14, 2008 9:17 PM
When you swap the new bcm over, un hook the battery. then do the relean , it should take around 45min if you do it right.
If you have to try 5 times , unhook the battery and start over. I have had a couple that I had to unhook the battery for like 15 min cause it seems to reset something so you can start the relearn over.
Remember that your original mileage is in your old bcm and when you switch to the other one the mileage will change. the dealer can change it and make it current but you have to provide proof before they will change it.
I havent heard of any difference in the lock cylinders, I have sold 00 + used ones with keys to guys with older J's and the never complained that they wouldnt relearn. I think they are all basicaly the same just the bcm/ cluster uses its signal different for the older ones.

01 cav w/01 3400 gam gt 4t45e

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 6:58 AM
^^ thanks for the tip i may retry this comming weekend i would LOVE for my ABS and ebrake lights to be OFF on the dash.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 7:05 PM
Hmmm.... I'm starting to get a feeling when i go to do my swap and turn the car over finally mine is going to screw up as well...

However, the bcm, body wiring harness, and cluster are from the same 03 4 door donor car with power locks and nothing else. I still have my steering column with ignition switch and everything, i'll prolly swap all that over to my 99's column

My dash wiring harness and engine harness are from an 05 sunfire with no power anything and no abs.

Do i still have to do the re-learn since my cluster and BCM are from the same car?

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 9:01 PM
Yes the BCM has to relearn to the ECM

i will let you all know how it goes this weekend when i try to relearn the 03 BCM again

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 10:30 PM
Cody, The 00+ clusters have no sercurity stuff in there. Its only a display like a computer monitor.
The bcm has to learn the signal from the key switch assembly, If the ECM doesnt match the BCM it will want to relearn the signal if one is changed out too.
There is no point in changing out the column, same stuff both cars.

01 cav w/01 3400 gam gt 4t45e

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search