95 to 96 motor swap help needed - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
95 to 96 motor swap help needed
Saturday, September 27, 2008 12:02 PM
Ok I did use the search so don't just slam me!! I'm putting a 96 2.2 in my 95 race car. This car came w/ a 2.2 so I figured it would be pretty strait forward. It looks like the alternator is different, and also the starter, not sure what else? I have a factory service manual for a 95 w/ the electric manual as well but this doesn't help w/ the 96 hook ups. From the search I found that I need the 96 starter, just need to know how to wire it. I dont have a 95 alternator so I need to use the 96, the main plug is different. I think it has Two wires and the 95 has 4? The fuel injectors plug in but the 95 harness only has 4 wires and the 96 has 5? not sure if that's ok? Also what is the round thing on the right side of the motor, looks like where you would put a distributor? It has a plug on top of it that I dont have for the 95. This is a dirt track race car so I dont need to go crazy on hooking everything up, just what is essential.

I once read that some one did a one wire alternator install, I would go this route if possible. Thank you for any help you may be able to give me.

Re: 95 to 96 motor swap help needed
Saturday, September 27, 2008 2:13 PM
96 motor will go into a 95 using the stock wiring

96 has a cam position sensor the 95 don't but the 95 harness and pcm wont look for it so your fine
you will have to swap the EGR and thermostat housing off the side of the head as the 96 has electric EGR and the 95 is a vacuum
the alt should work if not then just use a 95 alt

96-97 motor will go into a 95 but a 95 will NOT go into a 96-97 without making changes int he wiring

JBO since July 30, 2001
Saturday, September 27, 2008 9:18 PM
Do I need to use the EGR at all? I would like to just use the 96 alt. if any one knows how to do this? How about the fuel injection harness do you think this is ok? Anything on the starter? where is the cam position sensor on the 96 block? Is this the plug that is above where it looks like a distributor would go?
Monday, September 29, 2008 8:40 AM
JoeBiv318 wrote:Do I need to use the EGR at all? I would like to just use the 96 alt. if any one knows how to do this? How about the fuel injection harness do you think this is ok? Anything on the starter? where is the cam position sensor on the 96 block? Is this the plug that is above where it looks like a distributor would go?

i would just put the EGR in its a matter of swaping in take no time

whats different it should mount hte same way the only thing that might be different is the plug take it from the 96 and match the wires to the 95

starter should be the same

thinks thats where the cam position sensor is just leave it 95 harness and PCM wont be lookign for it thus why the 96 can go into a 95 and NOT vise versa

JBO since July 30, 2001
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search