3800 V6 SWAP how too - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
3800 V6 SWAP how too
Wednesday, October 22, 2008 2:33 PM
First: remove the engine and components leaving the engine wiring harness one peice

Second: build a sub frame from square as everyone to do this swap so far has.As of now there is no bolt in sub frame.

Third: motor mounts all motor mounts have to be custom alot of people use GM RWD transmission mount

Forth: transmission As far as i know all GM FWD OHV cars use the same bellhousing (i may be wrong) but the stock 2200-2.2 trans will work it may not hold the power but will work. Other transmissions may require custom CV axles and wiring
Fifth: exhaust a custom down pipe is required but stock exhaust can be used thats what im using now.
Sixth: wiring You can have wiring done a few places will do it for you otherwise it can be done at home with lots of time.You will need wiring diagrams of both your j car and the donor car and start match wires up but guages will not work as of now except the spedo and fuel guage on 95-99 cars

If i forgot anything feel free to add more i know i didnt do the best but i was tired of people asking the same thing every week

Re: 3800 V6 SWAP how too
Wednesday, October 22, 2008 8:43 PM
thanks for the post, at least you covered the good points of the job, too many people want a detailed explanation on how to do a swap, but every swap is its own special job.
it is bad so many times, an innocent poster comes here and gets gang raped for not knowing this site has allot of guys looking to jump on a guy for not using the search button.
Thursday, October 23, 2008 1:54 PM
a lot of people used the GM RWD trans mount i haven't seen 1 yet other then mine this is far from a how too. the how toos will break it down way more then this but this swap is too involved to make a how too

and too much stuff is different from each person say my car to darrens to James car every subframe is different everyone has mounted there engine differently

JBO since July 30, 2001
Thursday, October 23, 2008 9:27 PM
yeah i know but i just wanted to write a basic idea for people so they dont think its a bolt in thing and the transmission mount
thing thats what i ended up using and it works alot better then makeing one from scratch and another guy not on here used
that also

Thursday, October 23, 2008 9:39 PM
by the way matt what did you do with the idiot light show in your car? its like christmas lights every time i drive mine. but i was
looking again and the fiero swaps use the transmission mounts i wasnt meaning cavalier specific just to clairify that

Friday, October 24, 2008 5:51 PM
yeah the fiero guys i know use them there swap is different from ours as they had a V6 option and those cars can take almost any engine out there

as for the light show, 1 word

AUTOMETER

i should get a pic since people have asked

JBO since July 30, 2001
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search