Sunfire to Z24 PCM swap? - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Sunfire to Z24 PCM swap?
Wednesday, July 08, 2009 4:17 PM
I have a 96 Z24 with a bad PCM. It was already replaced by dealership in 03 but it was poorly done and they are and longer in business. Can I take the PCM from a 96 Sunfire with a 2.4 and 4-speed (same as my Cavalier) and put it into my Cavalier and run it with no problems? I.E. no need to have it reprogrammed.

Also, someone on Ebay sells new and pre-programmed PCMs for the car. Is that a better/viable option?

Re: Sunfire to Z24 PCM swap?
Wednesday, July 08, 2009 5:39 PM
they will be the same part number but the software might be different i don't see it being different but GM has done things like this before

JBO since July 30, 2001
Thursday, July 09, 2009 3:11 AM
It "should" work ok. But I'm thinking it might bitch for a bit about the whole idea of the anti-theft passwords not being the same. Not sure though about this change..... but it SHOULD work.

www.gmscf.com
Thursday, July 09, 2009 9:46 AM
I was thinking that it "should" work as well. I'm not sure if my Z has the anti-theft as I've never had a problem with it and I've changed alot of stuff that should, in theory, set it off.
I would really like to know if the Preprogrammed PCM off of Ebay would be a good option. Here's a link to the item...

PCM LINK

I believe it would be the better option as it would be in much better condition, plus the guy is in Ohio and is only, at most, an hour away. Any thoughts?
Thursday, July 09, 2009 3:09 PM
just go to a wrecker and get a PCM from them

JBO since July 30, 2001
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search