CEL Light & OBD2 Reader - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
CEL Light & OBD2 Reader
Friday, June 18, 2010 8:10 AM
The CEL just lit up on my '05 Sunfire. Where is the port located to connect up the OBD2 reader? What are some of the common things that could go wrong causing the CEL to light up??

Re: CEL Light & OBD2 Reader
Friday, June 18, 2010 11:09 AM
there are over 500 codes that can turn on the light. If you cant find the port, please go to someone that knows what they are doing. The J cars are one of the easiest cars to find the port one since its right in plain sight at the bottom of the dash.

Have it scanned with a good scanner and not some POS generic scanner. i cant tell you how many times I came up with teh correct code with a TECH II when the generic scanners would come up with the wrong one. Not every code will show up correct, unless you use a Tech II.

Friday, June 18, 2010 11:13 AM
Aren't the Tech 2 scanners only available through a dealership???
Friday, June 18, 2010 9:34 PM
Yes and no. You can buy them third party but expect to pay dearly for it. Mine cost me $850 when i picked it up from a dealer that was going out of business. I worked at another dealer at teh time and kept it updated. Now it is 3 years out of date, but it still does everything i need it to do.

Sunday, June 20, 2010 4:06 PM
mitdr774 wrote:Yes and no. You can buy them third party but expect to pay dearly for it. Mine cost me $850 when i picked it up from a dealer that was going out of business. I worked at another dealer at teh time and kept it updated. Now it is 3 years out of date, but it still does everything i need it to do.

Dam, for $850 why not just buy HPT? It reads/clears codes fine (atleast on our cars).
Sunday, June 20, 2010 8:00 PM
D.Simoes wrote:
mitdr774 wrote:Yes and no. You can buy them third party but expect to pay dearly for it. Mine cost me $850 when i picked it up from a dealer that was going out of business. I worked at another dealer at teh time and kept it updated. Now it is 3 years out of date, but it still does everything i need it to do.

Dam, for $850 why not just buy HPT? It reads/clears codes fine (atleast on our cars).

a TECH-II works on ALL gm vehicles so long as you keep it updated. hptuners? $120 for every vehicle you want to play with.

also, it must be said that HPTuners is... TUNING SOFTWARE, whereas a TECH-II is a complete diagnostic tool with advanced body control functions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, June 20, 2010 8:01 PM

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Sunday, June 20, 2010 8:31 PM
I have HPT as well. It cant do everything that I need to be able to do.

Sunday, June 20, 2010 9:21 PM
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:
D.Simoes wrote:

a TECH-II works on ALL gm vehicles so long as you keep it updated. hptuners? $120 for every vehicle you want to play with.

also, it must be said that HPTuners is... TUNING SOFTWARE, whereas a TECH-II is a complete diagnostic tool with advanced body control functions.

I don't think you need credits to check/clear codes with it. And yes I know its not the same as a TECH-II, but I'm just saying its cheaper, and for most people (if it works for your car)a hell of a lot more usefull.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search