Engine starts engine light flash then dies - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Engine starts engine light flash then dies
Tuesday, July 20, 2010 11:45 AM
Well i cant seem to figure out what the problem is. I go to start the motor and it starts right up then the check engine light flashes and it dies. This all happens in about three sec. If i try again it will just crank and not fire. I dont have a scanner and was wondering if this is a common issue. I did not render many results from searching the forum.

Let me know if you guys have any ideas it just started randomly doing this. It has to be some stupid little thing.

Re: Engine starts engine light flash then dies
Tuesday, July 20, 2010 1:12 PM
Have you swapped a cluster or pcm? Sounds a little like passlock, but I'm no expert.

Sig'less since '02!
Tuesday, July 20, 2010 1:48 PM
No it just randomly started doing it, how do you fix passlock?
Tuesday, July 20, 2010 3:41 PM
The passlock info is in the frequently asked questions (FAQ) section. Autozone offers free check engine light scanning if you can drive it there. It could be a number of things. Do you hear your fuel pump cutting on when you turn the key one click before cranking?

Sig'less since '02!
Wednesday, July 21, 2010 8:55 AM
Yeah the fuel pump is coming of fine. Ill check out the faqs, thanks for the info
Friday, July 23, 2010 8:11 PM
I dont think its the passlock. Check engine lights flashing usually means there is a missfire that the computer detects, and instead of detonating or hurting the engine, it just shuts it down. I would try getting someone with a small scanner to come out. Usually it will store a code in the computer as to whats going on. Or you could go to AZ and pick up there scanner for 50-100 bucks, and it will be worth its weight in gold. But it just sounds like a misfire. Goodluck!

Saturday, July 24, 2010 9:38 AM
when did you change your fuel filter last?
Sunday, July 25, 2010 6:04 AM
It would help if we knew which motor you had. It is not theftlock.

My guess is you have a LD9/2.4 motor, and the coil housing is bad.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 10:32 AM
I had a 2000 Z24 that did the same thing. I would just turn the ignition over and let it sit until my fuel needle went to its proper location, and it would start right up and run fine. I found that it was in direct relation to how my gauges functioned. The car would start and shut off every time that the fuel needle didn't move when the ignition was turned over. I just figured it was a computer issue. Also, my friends mom's 07 grand prix did the same thing one day. Must be a GM thing.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 10:57 AM
catalytic converter!!!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search