2001 z24 Problem (electrical?) - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2001 z24 Problem (electrical?)
Saturday, August 21, 2010 12:29 PM
Hi Guys,

I have a 2001 Cavalier z24 (automatic).

I was experiencing the following problem:

- When I first start the car it would rev up to approx. 2500-3000 rpm and then idle down.
- On warm days, when going from Park to Drive, the transmission would *smash* into gear - despite only idling at approx. 1000rpm.
- On cold days, switching gears was fine - there was no smashing. This lead me to believe the problem was not mechanical. (in addition I did check the frame connectors, etc., from the motor/transmission to the body of the car and they are fine)

So, I took the vehicle to the local GM dealership:

- They first told me that the throttle position sensor was bad.
- After replacing the throttle position sensor, they informed me that it was not the problem and that the computer must be the issue.
- I purchased a used computer through the GM dealership and installed it myself.
- All issues being represented by the dash lights where resolved with the replacement of the computer. (with th exception of the traction control and ABS - previously the entire "chrismas tree" was lit.).
- I thought that I had resolved the problem, until I took the vehicle out - at which point - I had to rev it up to approx. 2500-3000rpm to make it move. The high revving on start was cured though. : S

In a nutshell, I'm $500.00 into this and I've swapped the old computer back into the car so that I have the power and the car will start moving at a normal rpm. I've since heard that these computers are not supposed to be swapped and that there are few GM mechanics that now how to work on this cars electrical system.

Something tells me this may be a simple sensor or something stupid. The car is in excellent shape with only 180,000km. Any help is appreciated. This is my daily driver and I really need to get it fixed.

Re: 2001 z24 Problem (electrical?)
Saturday, August 21, 2010 2:51 PM
i think i could be something to do with your torque converter

let some other people chime in see what they think

8 psi with m62 and IAT under 100
Sunday, August 22, 2010 6:08 PM
Any other thoughts?
Saturday, August 28, 2010 8:57 PM
i would put the used pcm in the car and take it to the dealer to get reflashed it usually costs around 120 bucks
Sunday, August 29, 2010 1:37 PM
umm i would get the PCM flashed with the correct program with the most recent updates and see if that fixes it if not it might be a shift solenoid or the torque converter but i don't ever touch auto trannys so i'm just speculating 5sdp FTMFW

JBO since July 30, 2001
Sunday, August 29, 2010 5:02 PM
Try changing the IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor, and see if it stops slamming into gear. Sounds strange, but when these go bad the auto trans will start to shift really hard. They're pretty cheap. You can probably get one for next to nothing and put it in yourself even with no mechanical knowledge in about 10 minutes.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Sunday, August 29, 2010 5:16 PM
I'm about 99% sure it is just the IAT sensor....just like Jason said.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search