Newbie to 3rd Gens - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Newbie to 3rd Gens
Monday, December 06, 2010 8:29 PM
Ok, after selling my baby 82 Firenza a couple years ago, I have come back to the J's. I had a 97 Sunfire SE sedan, LN2, automatic for a couple months, now I got my project/DD. Its a 97 Sunfire GTX(I know nothing special lol) Its funny, at the time I was looking for a GT but all I found were abused and rusted to hell. I picked up this for $500, 95% rust free, newer trans about 66K on it. I like it because of it being a low option car, its light. I got a couple questions, I want to make it more fun to drive, not looking for big power just a bit more exciting, its all stock except a lightweight flywheel. I am doing a cold air intake and full exhaust soon, and possibly a header. Also is it worth the cost to do a cam? Thanks.

1982 Olds Firenza S-1.8L auto, not fast but fun it is.

Re: Newbie to 3rd Gens
Monday, December 13, 2010 1:44 AM
82FirenzaS wrote:Ok, after selling my baby 82 Firenza a couple years ago, I have come back to the J's. I had a 97 Sunfire SE sedan, LN2, automatic for a couple months, now I got my project/DD. Its a 97 Sunfire GTX(I know nothing special lol) Its funny, at the time I was looking for a GT but all I found were abused and rusted to hell. I picked up this for $500, 95% rust free, newer trans about 66K on it. I like it because of it being a low option car, its light. I got a couple questions, I want to make it more fun to drive, not looking for big power just a bit more exciting, its all stock except a lightweight flywheel. I am doing a cold air intake and full exhaust soon, and possibly a header. Also is it worth the cost to do a cam? Thanks.

If you are going to throw a cam in get it tuned aswell. pick up some new engine and trans mounts to help you put a few more hp to the ground aswell.
Friday, December 17, 2010 7:41 PM
thanks, depending how deep into this I go, I will for sure get it properly tuned. Im still up in arms whether or not to keep the LN2 or do a Quad 4 or LD9 swap. a lot of people seem not to like the LD9 but I am not striping the entire car to do an Eco swap! LOL. Thanks again
Saturday, December 18, 2010 8:48 AM
Well as far as "is it worth doing a cam"... considering you have an LN2... it's not exactly "easy" to swap it out. lol. If you aren't familiar with it, the cam is in the block.

Sunday, December 19, 2010 4:29 AM
I know you said you didn't want to but.... ECO this engine is sex in a box. Just sayin.
Sunday, December 19, 2010 5:21 AM
I wouldn't bother really modding the LN2 unless your going to get some serious mods done like p n p the head or a simple turbo kit. The money you will tie up in the exhaust and cam and tune would be better spent on the suspension. Get some quality drop struts and springs and throw some addco swaybars on it and call it a day. My 2001 Ln2 was a very fun car even though is was slow as all hell because it would turn on a dime and stop like nobodys business. I would go as far as to say it was a better handling car than my 2004 when it was dropped.

Sunday, December 19, 2010 6:49 AM
JUCNBST wrote:I wouldn't bother really modding the LN2 unless your going to get some serious mods done like p n p the head or a simple turbo kit. The money you will tie up in the exhaust and cam and tune would be better spent on the suspension. Get some quality drop struts and springs and throw some addco swaybars on it and call it a day. My 2001 Ln2 was a very fun car even though is was slow as all hell because it would turn on a dime and stop like nobodys business. I would go as far as to say it was a better handling car than my 2004 when it was dropped.

This is a great suggestion........... then drop a V6 in it
Sunday, December 19, 2010 8:40 AM
Thanks all. I know the Eco is sex in a box, but a little out of my mechanical abilities. I may just do a tune, rockers, PP head, header, intake and exhaust and maybe a 75 shot of nitrous lol
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search