Frozen Rad; Oil Around Spark Plugs - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Frozen Rad; Oil Around Spark Plugs
Wednesday, December 29, 2010 12:11 PM
I was running pretty much straight water in the radiator because of a coolant leak i had close to the end of summer and pretty much procrastinated too long and all the water in the radiator froze, Cav is currently on a lift in the garage with a torpedo heater under it (been in there for a good 4-5 hours now) and it's just waiting some TLC to finish up, I'm curious about signs it'd have to know if the block cracked or not. The only place it's currently leaking from is where the thermostat is so I figure it definately needs a new thermostat gasket but how else can i tell if there are more potential problems w/o firing it up (currently working with an ignition problem aswell.)

I also had a lot of oil buildup around where the spark plugs are. There was a lot more but I had cleaned it out a while ago.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm itching to get my J back on the road >:o

Re: Frozen Rad; Oil Around Spark Plugs
Wednesday, December 29, 2010 12:11 PM
Wednesday, December 29, 2010 1:16 PM
the oil in the spark plug valley is probably leaky cam tower/ cover gaskets.

as far as the water/ anti freeze situation, id say get it thawed all the way out and see if u see a leak. odds are if there is on, it gonna be a gasket somewhere.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 1:40 PM
the only visible leak at the moment is coming from where the thermostat is, im assuming at this point that's either a gasket or the housing... Can't do anything else until it's actually able to be fired up I guess.
Friday, December 31, 2010 6:48 AM
That oil building up like that is modt likely the cam tower/housi g as previously stated. As far as your water leak, dont forget to check the obvious places for an LD9. Look at your heater hoses, water outlet pipe, the steel pipe that thermostat sits in, and of course mixed with the oil. Best of luck and I hope it turns out to be somethin easy for ya

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search