Please help sunfire keeps dieing - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Please help sunfire keeps dieing
Thursday, July 14, 2011 10:30 AM
Well my battery light keeps coming on ive replaced my battery twice now and my altenator 3 times all within the last 3 months the last thing I can think of it could be is a ground cable. Can someone tell me where they r all located on a 99 sunfire with the 2.2 thanks for any helps

Re: Please help sunfire keeps dieing
Thursday, July 14, 2011 4:17 PM
I had this problem myself. I don't know if this will help but you can try it. I had a 97 GT with a 2.4 Twin cam

I also changed my battery and defected 6 alternators in 5 months. I had the same theory as you as it being a ground cable. I noticed the main battery ground is actually grounded to the battery pan, which is either cast or welded to the subframe of the car.

All around that bolt yellow/white corrosion had formed from im assuming battery acid boilover. It seemed that the more I cleaned it the longer the car would last before my alternator would fail. Finally I got an extension and moved the main ground to the back of the pan(towards passenger compartment) and its been fine for about a year now. It was relatively easy since there are a few different holes on the back of the pan you can use to get a clean connection, or find a piece underneath on the frame. I recommend the pan first because its much easier to get to.

I have an aftermarket intake on mine so the bulky tube and airbox aren't in my way, if yours is stock it might be a little tight to work but its a relatively cheap fix and if your stumped it can't hurt.

lemme know if it works and ill dig around through my notebooks and see what else I did in relation to my problem. this was the last thing and seemingly what fixed it though
Re: Please help sunfire keeps dieing
Friday, July 15, 2011 3:42 AM
^ Like stated above about the main battery ground. It grounds under/to the tray itself. ACDelco batteries like to leak, so it could have corroded the cable away to nothing. Changing it will probably go a long way.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search