convertible body flex - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
convertible body flex
Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:40 AM
I have had a rear end issue, it feels as if the whole rear of the car is vibrating ever since I put stiffer struts and springs in. This is the second aftermarket suspension setup in the car so I know it is not that. I have tried different wheels and tires with no change. I thought maybe it was the bushings in the flex beam, but upon playing with things they appear to be tight. I have come to believe that the unibody is flexing badly as the suspension travels. Also it gets worse in warm weather.

Im going to do the Cadillac strut bar mod in the trunk and try to fabricate some kind of rear strut tower bar that will work with the top down.

Has anyone else with a vert experienced this?

Re: convertible body flex
Friday, March 30, 2012 4:41 PM
Get a piece of lime 4" c channel and bolt it to the frame rails under the car. Similar to how an IRS setup is mounted. It should help reduce flex.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Friday, March 30, 2012 8:25 PM
Roll cage?

Sunday, April 01, 2012 5:19 PM
I do have plans of connecting the frame rails. need to repair some rust anyway.

Id be ok with doing some kind of roll bar but not a cage. Its a DD not a racer haha. Not sure how to do a roll bar and keep the top functional and still have a back seat though.

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 7:35 PM
your going to have some flex with a unibody vert.
Tuesday, April 03, 2012 8:22 PM
I have noticed that with the aftermarket suspension I have on my vert that the back end shimmys quite a bit. But I just chalked that up to being a Vert with no real structural integrity from the top. I have noticed tho, that its more noticeable in my vert VS my girls vert since her car is stock. Ill be watching this thread to see if there is something to do to fix this.

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 9:04 PM
I'm glad to hear its not just my car. It didn't do this as as badly with stock suspension but it was noticeable. I am going to do some things to tie the frame rails together and make some kind of rear strut bar, if those things don't help then I will do a roll bar with several points in the back half of the car.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 10:11 AM
There was a reason why GM went high profile 15in tires and FE1 suspension on convertibles.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search