Breather Tube vs. Breather Filter? - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Breather Tube vs. Breather Filter?
Wednesday, April 04, 2012 4:57 PM
Can anyone tell me the point of the breather filter and whether or not I should use one or not?

Re: Breather Tube vs. Breather Filter?
Wednesday, April 04, 2012 11:00 PM
I think your talking about the crank case vent tube into the intake? If so, when replacing the stock air intake system (with a warm air/engine bay intake) or any other, you usually lose the spot that the breather tube went. you could hook up the breather to a new intake if you wanted, but that requires modification, to most a filter is the easier solution, i don't want to say better because i don't know the details, but i know my car has just a filter on it with no issues.
Thursday, April 05, 2012 7:17 AM
Jordan wrote:I think your talking about the crank case vent tube into the intake? If so, when replacing the stock air intake system (with a warm air/engine bay intake) or any other, you usually lose the spot that the breather tube went. you could hook up the breather to a new intake if you wanted, but that requires modification, to most a filter is the easier solution, i don't want to say better because i don't know the details, but i know my car has just a filter on it with no issues.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. I just want to know if it would be better to run the filter on it and seal the intake or just to have the tube on it.

Thursday, April 05, 2012 7:35 AM
If you are stock or mostly stock, leave the hose on. Under high rpm it will leak oil out the filter.

Thursday, April 05, 2012 7:35 AM
leave the tube.

Thursday, April 05, 2012 10:22 AM
blucavvy wrote:leave the tube.

x2

Thursday, April 05, 2012 10:55 AM
Thanks guys.

Thursday, April 05, 2012 11:16 AM
The PCV needs vacuum to operate correctly. Anyone that runs the filter is most likely or has already damaged or cause premature wear to their engine.
Thursday, April 05, 2012 1:00 PM
Are we talking about the nozzle circled below? If so, where do you guys run the hose to?

Thursday, April 05, 2012 1:23 PM
^ Thats the fuel pressure regulator. Under your throttle body on the drivers side of the intake manifold there are two plastic nipples, Just route it there.

Thursday, April 05, 2012 2:44 PM
Mr Newb wrote:The PCV needs vacuum to operate correctly. Anyone that runs the filter is most likely or has already damaged or cause premature wear to their engine.

I thought our cars don't have a PCV valve and that is just the crankcase breather?

Thursday, April 05, 2012 3:01 PM
I was talking ecotec, not sure about the 2001.
Thursday, April 05, 2012 10:45 PM
EcoCav[@DesertTuners.com wrote:]^ Thats the fuel pressure regulator. Under your throttle body on the drivers side of the intake manifold there are two plastic nipples, Just route it there.

Right, I know that's a fpr. So you're saying route that hose I have on there to one of the nipples under the throttle body?

Friday, April 06, 2012 12:39 PM
Jordan wrote:I think your talking about the crank case vent tube into the intake? If so, when replacing the stock air intake system (with a warm air/engine bay intake) or any other, you usually lose the spot that the breather tube went. you could hook up the breather to a new intake if you wanted, but that requires modification, to most a filter is the easier solution, i don't want to say better because i don't know the details, but i know my car has just a filter on it with no issues.
----NOT TRUE JUST DON'T BUY JUNK and you will have the connector...trust me i've been putting on intakes for years....you wouldn't believe what ppl pay to have these installed
Friday, April 06, 2012 12:42 PM
Spalattero wrote:Are we talking about the nozzle circled below? If so, where do you guys run the hose to?

Dude this is an ecotec so you are compairing apples and oranges, and if you know its a fpr then why did you even ask. ON EVERY CAR the fpr must get reference(vaccume) from the intake mini-some use the throttle body but the port is always behind the plate though
Friday, April 06, 2012 12:44 PM
yeah our cars don't have a PCV VALVE but they do have PCV-positive crankcase vent. and the tube is what creates the flow using the intakes vaccume,
Friday, April 06, 2012 12:47 PM
splattero...actually if you did't know that then why do you have the top off the motor???
Friday, April 06, 2012 6:52 PM
Vinnie wrote:splattero...actually if you did't know that then why do you have the top off the motor???

chill out kid. i know its an ecotec and wasn't comparing it to anything. simple wanted to double check where ppl ran their vacuum line.
the "valve cover" is off the motor so you can tell me whether its an ohc or dohc.

Sunday, April 08, 2012 5:27 PM
Vinnie wrote:
----NOT TRUE JUST DON'T BUY JUNK and you will have the connector...trust me i've been putting on intakes for years....you wouldn't believe what ppl pay to have these installed

Woah there no need to get so hostile.. I didn't even put the intake on my car so i didn't do it. and the intake that is on it doesn't have a spot for it. I just said my car is running with just a filter and its just fine.
Tuesday, April 10, 2012 6:25 PM
i'm just trying to make sure they see it really lol, no hostility, it probably is fine, but on an intake that costs just a pinch more you will have alll the hookups for factory options, sorry jordan..def sounds bad looking at it again hahaha
Tuesday, April 10, 2012 6:31 PM
spalattero...umm still kinda think that was a foolish question u asked...but the other night I was in the midst of a fued with my eco-loving friend and I probably got a little crazy and let it spill out here...but seriously though--is this wht we're talking about a fpr lol, kinda funny now to be honest, yeah hook it into the mani or the tb and you'll be cool, as long as it's reading vaccume from BEHIND the throttle plate-very important

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search