98 Z24 missing / rough idle,,,ideas please - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
98 Z24 missing / rough idle,,,ideas please
Monday, July 02, 2012 6:39 PM
98 Z24 rough idle,,,missing. I can hear it missing up to around 2000 rpm.
-Codes for down stream o2 and # 2 cylinder miss
-Changed plugs,,,all looked good and o2,,,,,cleared codes
-car still missing / rough idle,,,,#2 cylinder miss code again
-Swaped out coils and boots with my other Z that runs fine,,,,,cleared codes
-Car still missing / rough idle
-Compression check shows 130 - 135 psi on all cylinders

So what next,,,,,injector??

Also note that the traction control and abs have been acting really goofy. Somtimes the low trac light will come on even at a stop. Somtimes it comes on when I'm taking off from a stop. Though I do believe this is due to the fact that the car is idling really rough. If i click up the e-brake it turns off then no more problems.

Thanks
Bob

Re: 98 Z24 missing / rough idle,,,ideas please
Friday, July 13, 2012 2:01 PM
Have you checked the EGR valve ?
Saturday, July 14, 2012 1:36 PM
Check wiring to cylinder 2 injector and if no power is present ive had pcms be bad with just one misfire caused

Erik Packard
Saturday, July 28, 2012 6:31 AM
have you compared all four plugs to see if they are the same color on the ceramic insulator?

dennis
Wednesday, August 29, 2012 9:15 PM
vacuum leak between maf and throttle will cause all kinds of issues and code to set

an exhaust leak will wreak havoc on 02 sensor signals info as well

trac/abs has nothing to do with engine and engine codes and malfunctions

-96 cavalier 2.2 auto 143k miles
Thursday, August 30, 2012 1:40 PM
fast68chevy wrote:vacuum leak between maf and throttle will cause all kinds of issues and code to set

an exhaust leak will wreak havoc on 02 sensor signals info as well

trac/abs has nothing to do with engine and engine codes and malfunctions

You are rambling on in every post "giving" highly incorrect advice on these forums. You need to take a step back... you didn't even know what a diff in a FWD looked like.

Traction control light being on can be caused by a bad IAT sensor on these vehicles with an auto transmission, and in fact it's highly sensitive to this sensor. I don't think this is the problem.

Our cars do NOT have a MAF sensor. See my comment above about highly incorrect advice.

An exhaust leak can affect the 02 sensor but not a single cylinder misfire. The first step is to assume the rear 02 code is setting off because of the cylinder 2 misfire.

The PCM is signaling only a cylinder 2 misfire... it cannot be a coil since it would affect two cylinders. It POSSIBLY may be the coil on plug case that's under the IDI cover.... but...

I would start with the injector though, and test the wiring to it and possibly switch the injector to another cylinder and see if your misfire follows it.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search