My Clutch Pedal Doesn't Work - Master / Slave Cylinder? - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My Clutch Pedal Doesn't Work - Master / Slave Cylinder?
Tuesday, July 31, 2012 5:20 AM
Hello,

I went to the store the other day, and when I went to leave, I couldn't put my car in reverse. I could press the clutch pedal all the way down, but it wouldn't disengage and allow me to shift. Needless to say, it was quite a fun trip back home.

A friend of mine thinks its the master / slave cylinder setup for the clutch that went bad. I was hoping to get a second opinion, and maybe a quick list of what I'm going to have to do to replace it, if someone would be so kind.

I don't recall if it's in my signature or not, soo...

I have a 97 Cavi, Z24 5sp, 2.4L.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
1997 Cavalier Z24
2.4 liter LD9
5 speed manual

Re: My Clutch Pedal Doesn't Work - Master / Slave Cylinder?
Tuesday, July 31, 2012 8:36 AM
Can you pump it up? Are you low on fluid? Losing fluid? You probably need a new slave, which sucks, since it's inside the transmission, but my guess is that's what's gone. Typically it will go slowly, but it could have just blown.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 3:51 PM
That's fantastic news... Is there any way of converting it to something other than hydraulic?

I just sat out in the car and pumped the clutch to see if that made a difference. It didn't. Thanks for the info.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
1997 Cavalier Z24
2.4 liter LD9
5 speed manual
Tuesday, July 31, 2012 6:04 PM
i would attempt the master first since there common to go and there external

for the cost of the slave just but a stock replacment clutch the 97 slave is cheap and comes in the kit

JBO since July 30, 2001
Wednesday, August 01, 2012 9:51 AM
You need to answer a few simple questions to troubleshoot this.

You said pumping it more doesn't bring it back up - ok check.

Is there any fluid in the reservoir? if yes then the master may be shot. If no then you need to fill it and pump the system up.

Does it hold fluid? Yes - then you have a slow leak somewhere. If no, then you need to determine where its leaking.

In the car/under the firewall? Master cyl.

Coming from between the trans and engine? Slave cylinder.

Go through all that and report back - good luck!

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Tuesday, August 28, 2012 9:29 PM
its really not possible ot accurately and totally say what the failed part or cause of this is witohut physically being in the car and seeing it

and all these cars are hydr clutch theres no parts out there to readily convert it mechanical

mechanical clutch hasnt been in the cars since around 1982/83

after that then theyre pretty much all hydraulically assisted but they work fine until they get old and pistons seals etc wear out and fail

if theres any air at all in the system then it wont work well or at all

theyre super easy to bleed unlike on some vehicles like the 90s ford explorers rangers where you gotta open up the back of the master cylinder from inside the truck under the dash and physically burp the air out of the pushrod end of the master cylinder VERY carefully

yeah,..

been there done it, its "different" but it works great and solves the major air trapped in the system issue on those trucks

-96 cavalier 2.2 auto 143k miles
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search