3400 swap in new england - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
3400 swap in new england
Sunday, September 30, 2012 7:01 AM
Before i start yes i have done my research, i've read the posts on this forum and i've learned what i can about doing this swap. i currently have a 02 sunfire with a 2200 4 spd auto. it seems like from what i've read because i have the 2200 it's pretty a bolt in type swap. My question is is there anyone that could help me make this more plug and play as far as motor mounts and wiring? I do know it will cost money, but i'm more then willing to pay a little more for less headache later. I'm actaully surprised i haven't found anyone making mounts or wiring harness's for this swap as it seems to be getting more common.

Re: 3400 swap in new england
Sunday, September 30, 2012 8:14 AM
Where in NE are you?

Blackphoenix38 wrote:I'm actaully surprised i haven't found anyone making mounts or wiring harness's for this swap as it seems to be getting more common.
Are you kidding me?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, September 30, 2012 8:20 AM

Sunday, September 30, 2012 9:29 AM
where did you find that and who makes it? i did see some people making up their own mounts but nothing that looks like they were making them to sell. like i said i'm all for making this as easy as possible. I'm in southern mass.
Sunday, September 30, 2012 9:35 AM
ok, my fault for not searching correctly.. i did find some threads related to the mounts. I'm intrested regardless of getting some bolt on mounts.
Sunday, September 30, 2012 10:06 AM
I make the mounts. I make the lowers, too, but I'm in the process of redoing the design and construction of them.

Sunday, September 30, 2012 10:34 AM
that sounds good. i'm intrested in both when you've completed your redesign. send me a pm with more info on price and stuff.
Sunday, September 30, 2012 4:23 PM
another question, i know the 4speed auto will bolt up to the 3400. has anyone successfully had an auto work correctly, or has everyone just gone with a 5 speed?
Sunday, September 30, 2012 4:58 PM
No one has successfully done a swap using the 4 speed auto that comes in the J-body (4t40e) and had the gauges working. There is no ECM flash that will run that transmission and the 3400 properly. You could swap a 4t45e fairly easily, but the only flash that runs the 00+ gauges 100% has the transmission program for a 4t65e, which takes a lot of work to fit into a J-body. Truthfully, it's theoretically possible to get the transmission program from one flash and put it into the other, but it would have to be done at the code level, as none of the tuning software will do it. To swap programs at the code level, you need to know exactly where in the .bin file each one lies, and they're not consistent. It's tedious as hell trying to map it.

Sunday, September 30, 2012 5:59 PM
mr quick that is different than the mount i thought you made.
Sunday, September 30, 2012 6:07 PM
so it will work i just won't have rpm or speedo? an aftermarket tach is no problem, i can figure something out for the speedo. but as long as the car will move and function normally thats fine with me.
Sunday, September 30, 2012 7:57 PM
Trust me when I say It is so much nicer with the 5 speed, I've driven grand am gt;s and I'll tell you that 3400 comes alive with the 5 speed and all gauges will work! I have no lights or codes running the factory gauges.

If GM only knew how great a 3400 powered Sunfire is...

Monday, October 01, 2012 3:20 AM
so it's worth the effort to do a 5 speed swap along with this. i'll start looking into what involved with that. i think my project just got bigger lol
Monday, October 01, 2012 3:25 AM
i just back from a company i reached out to abouta reflash with the auto transmisson. here's what he said

there is no such factory combo. however, the solenoid structure between your 4T40E and 4T65E that the V6 calibration is set up for may be compatible. i don't deal much with these transmission and i never programmed for this combo so i didn't research it. you should take a look.

if the shift logic is the same (or similar enough to be compensated with an adapter harness such as used for simple 4L60E/4L80E swaps without splicing different trans segments in the PCM), then the V6 PCM can be mapped for the 4T40E (meaning the shift pattern would be changed to accommodate for the different gear ratios and final drive).

so, from what i get is if the transmissions are close enough it will work and he can just reflash for different gear ratios and shift points. but i'm not sure what he means by adapter harness.
Monday, October 01, 2012 4:31 AM
Shawn - I thought up an idea about the Auto trans thing last night.... it'll be in your PM.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Monday, October 01, 2012 5:07 AM
Spencer wrote:mr quick that is different than the mount i thought you made.
I make two different styles. You're probably thinking of the one for the 94-98 3100 style mount. This one (more popular) fits the 3400 style mount. See the sticky for the differences in engine accessory configurations. If you don't have the two idler pulley setup, you can't use this mount, because the boss for the lower idler pulley (neccesary to clear the 3400 style mount) is not there.

Blackphoenix38 wrote:so it will work i just won't have rpm or speedo? an aftermarket tach is no problem, i can figure something out for the speedo. but as long as the car will move and function normally thats fine with me.
Speedo will work, that does not go through the data stream. The tach and fuel gauge may not work, depending on the flash. The problem is that the data stream for each flash litterally just changes to position of the information going from the ECM to the cluster. So if the gauge cluster is looking at one location in the signal for fuel level, but it's not there, the cluster skips it. The information for the fuel may be in a position where the cluster is looking for something else, but the information may be out of range of what that gauge should be, so it skips that. Or it could be in a position that the cluster doesn't even look at.

Blackphoenix38 wrote:there is no such factory combo. however, the solenoid structure between your 4T40E and 4T65E that the V6 calibration is set up for may be compatible.
This is basically what I said. There is no program that runs the 3400 that's properly set up for the 4t40e. There is one for the 4t45e (Grand Am), and that transmission will fit nicely in the J-body. However, the GA program will not run all the factory gauges, because GM, in their infinite wisdom, likes to change the data stream arrangement in every vehicle, even if just slightly. The only flash out there that will run a 3400, and has the correct data stream as the 00+ J-body, is the 02-04 Impala, but that program is set up for the 4t65e, and it will absolutely not control a 4t45e properly.

Blackphoenix38 wrote:...then the V6 PCM can be mapped for the 4T40E (meaning the shift pattern would be changed to accommodate for the different gear ratios and final drive).so, from what i get is if the transmissions are close enough it will work and he can just reflash for different gear ratios and shift points. but i'm not sure what he means by adapter harness.
There is no tuning software that can adjust the transmission programming to the extent necessary for changing transmissions. They only offer tweaks.

The plugs are the same. You don't need an adapter harness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, October 01, 2012 5:14 AM

Monday, October 01, 2012 9:46 AM
well that works for me, if i have a speedo, i can wire in an aftermarket tach and fuel gauge. i'm ok with that. as long as driveability is that same then i may stick with the automatic and see how it goes.
Monday, October 01, 2012 10:19 AM
Then I suggest going for the Grand Am 3400 ECM. If you're going with that many aftermarket gauges, you may just want to make a custom cluster like a lot have done: gut your factory cluster, cut a faceplate to hold the individual gauges, and cut out the part of the housing behind them needed for clearance.

Monday, October 01, 2012 11:16 AM
sounds good to me, thanks alot for your help. i may just do a big 5 inch tach and a 3 pillar gauge pod for the rest of the gauges i need. not sure yet, i'm sure once i dive into this thing everything will change.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search