2.2 has started leaking engine oil.... - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 has started leaking engine oil....
Saturday, April 06, 2013 9:20 AM
Hi everyone,

My 2200 SFI is dripping engine oil, and was wondering if anyone has an idea what the source is, and what is involved in repairing. It isn't really bad, but does leave a quarter sized area on the ground, and is really annoying. And will probably get worse with time.
This pic shows the belt drive side of the engine and the oil mostly drips off the protruding piece of steel with the round hole. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help....

Ipud wrote:We put Jap Traps on cinder blocks around here. We don't wave the American flag for novelty

I proudly own American cars, nothing else....

Re: 2.2 has started leaking engine oil....
Saturday, April 06, 2013 9:52 AM
Hi Jeff,

what you are seeing is typically a front main seal. The rubber material the seal is made of gets hardened by heat over time.
It is not impossible to fix with the engine in the car. You'll need to remove the splash shield, the drive belt, main pulley, and the pulley hub. Then you'll pry out the old seal and carefully hammer the new one in.

double check, but I think this is the right part. Part No. 4307V at Advance auto parts.

dennis
Thursday, April 11, 2013 2:43 PM
Ok thanks, I'll check it

Ipud wrote:We put Jap Traps on cinder blocks around here. We don't wave the American flag for novelty

I proudly own American cars, nothing else....

Thursday, April 11, 2013 5:03 PM
make sure its not the oil pan gasket or that the valve cover gasket is leaking and running down the engine happens all the time

JBO since July 30, 2001
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search