Odd coolant temp readings - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Odd coolant temp readings
Tuesday, October 01, 2013 1:48 PM
So I'm having some very weird readings on my 98 Cav. Did a full upgrade about a year and half ago when I basically burned down the block after losing a headgasket on a road trip. Since money was too tight to finally do the full upgrade to the drivetrain that I wanted to do I opted out for just a partial upgrade to the class 2 system. Well a year and a half after deciding on a 64K mile 2.2L OHV from an 02, 03+ ls interior, and keeping the old 98 rad. and Isuzu 5 Spd is starting to have too much play in the coolant temp gauge. Typically at highway speeds it'll climb 2-3 notches above 195 but always comes back down, rise about 1-2 above 195 following with idle, and all over a few above and a few below at typical city/country driving. Doesn't happen all the time, for instance it stayed about 1-2 below 195 until I backed in the drive. Put a new Napa premium stat that's American made and no fix. Oil is clean, hoses at top and bottom of rad are both about the same temps, system is bled, no leaks, no loss of coolant, all seems fine minus the temps. I'm leaning head gasket but fluid, oil, and plugs check out. Haven't done a comp test but its not showing the typical signs of the headgasket. Figured I could snowball ideas around with the real pros.

People can't learn common sense. You're born with it. Either you have it or you just don't!

Re: Odd coolant temp readings
Wednesday, October 16, 2013 9:28 AM
Compression test checked out. Changed the temp sensor and the overflow reservoir cap and temps are only bouncing 20-25 degrees now. Leaning towards the water pump and a flush kit.

People can't learn common sense. You're born with it. Either you have it or you just don't!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search