COOLING SYSTEM PROBLEM??!! - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
COOLING SYSTEM PROBLEM??!!
Thursday, July 10, 2014 7:43 PM
ok i have a 1999 cavalier, 2.2 auto with 207239 miles, just put a good bit of $ into her, but my water pump just died ( i think) she got hot on me earlier ( not in the red, but close enough) , i shut her off imediatly, and i had water just rushing down my engine bay where the water pump is, , IM wondering if that actually is the case, and how hard would it be to replace it?? THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

got 99 problems and my cavys not 1

Re: COOLING SYSTEM PROBLEM??!!
Thursday, July 10, 2014 9:01 PM
Thankfully you have the easiest water pump replacement out off all the motors offered in JBodies.
Its 4 bolts and the belt and shes off.
I would suggest jacking the motor up just a little bit from underneath on the lower dogbone mount until the water pump becomes easier to see/work with.
Can be a little bit of a struggle getting tools down there. When I replaced mine it cost me $54 at a local parts store but I have heard you can get them for cheaper.

There are youtube videos on how to replace it that I would suggest watching, if you are not sure, or if you have a haynes manual that helps.
While you are going to end up draining the entire system of coolant, I would consider replacing the thermostat as it is only usually $9 and you cannot go wrong with that, and refill with new coolant. (Also its kinda in the same area)

The water pump fins could have failed or the o-ring could have. (Thats what mine did). Make sure it is indeed the water pump because there is that giant water inlet into the head about a foot above that.
My model did not have AC but I have heard that might get in the way.

If you have the right tools and right place to do it, the procedure is pretty simple. Good luck!
Friday, July 11, 2014 4:33 AM
Definitely the easiest water pump you can do on these cars. I did mine in a driveway with no problems. Sounds like that's what your issue is if it got hot before it ran low on coolant.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, July 13, 2014 8:41 PM
Hey thanks for the info!! shes back on the road and running better than ever!!!!!!

got 99 problems and my cavys not 1
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search