any ideas?? - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
any ideas??
Sunday, July 13, 2014 8:40 PM

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10155245_802160603149010_2735115696386743322_n.jpg

Thoughts, its a 2.2 4 spd auto,
Things ive done
cold air intake
hollowed cat.
Aftermarket muffler
aftermarket tailights
aftermarket marker lights
a cheap set of z24 rims

I bought this car as a base model cav, everything was original, it had the ugly steely rims, it sounded like @!#$, and she looked like @!#$, ive done alot of work to her, and alot of maintanance due to it have 207249 miles, ,,, i plan on installling a z24 body kit, so any tips on getting my car looking better just comment , ps. i cant lower it because where i live, and i cant put oodles of money in her, shes my daily driver, with some imperfections, but i fell in love

got 99 problems and my cavys not 1

Re: any ideas??
Monday, July 14, 2014 6:29 AM
Post up some pics of something other than the rear end too. It will help us help you.

Just a suggestion though. Post the problems you're having with the car it might be better to fix those first and go from there.

Also are to looking for just appearance mods or performance mods too? Because with the auto I would look into a B&M shiftplus it's about $30 but it'll clean up your shifting a good bit.

If you aren't going to lower it get some new suspension either KYB GR-2s with OEM springs or AGXs with OEM springs. I would go for a rally style look if I were you so some rally armor mudflaps are really good it'll do wonders for helping out your paint. Maybe some aux lighting in the front. And get he chevy logo off the trunk it will look a lot better.

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE Sedan 2.2l Ecotec 4 Speed Auto.
Monday, July 14, 2014 11:02 AM
For looks, 95-99 Z24 bumpers and side skirts would be my suggestion. Maybe you can even get lucky enough to find them already in white if you hunt salvage yards.

I'd put some Prothane bushings in the front control arms. A Prothane upper motor mount insert as well. If you haven't done them recently, or don't know how long it's been, I'd do tie rod ends, ball joints, and bearings at the same time. I had a 2001 beater with over 200L on it. The previous owner had taken absolute shit care of it. It drove like crap, rattled like crazy, but I rebuilt the front end and replaced the shocks and struts all around, and wheel bearings all around. It rode pretty nice after that. Tight and quiet.

You may want to see if you can get a sway bar from a salvage yard, too, and get some new links and bushings for it.

Monday, July 21, 2014 1:09 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/t1.0-9/p417x417/10524353_804254832939587_162192456767985871_n.jpg

ok sorry it didnt wanna load..
well right now i just got into a bit of a wreck
Now i need a new hood, bumper front fenders and all new tires BUT there is a guy about 10 minutes away from me thats gonna scrap a z24 cav. ... its black so ill have to paint them,, or just paint my car,,,, plus one problem i am having is a oil leek,, im pretty sure its coming from the oil pan gasket... is that common??

and i dont know for sure what i wanna do.. i heard the z24 cavaliers had a stiffer suspension??? if that is true than when i get this other cavy, i wanna switch the suspension, and ad a rear sway bar, and shes a 4 spd auto,, ,, id really love to put a shift kit in her but i just dont have the $$$ ,,,

ps. the guy before me replaced everything suspension wise.. but my car still feels like a fricking sponge going around a corner,,,,, but as i was saying, new shocks, ball joints,,, literally everything was changed suspension wise, plus she has a new starter, water pump, i do believe a new manifold gasket, plugs , wires, battery, coil packs, and by the looks of it a new serpintine belt... so she was either well taken care of, or wrecked at one point in her life...

and again,,,, i have a super limited budget, a car with about 207xxx miles, thats just been wrecked,,, so anything anything really big is gonna have to wait till i get stable at my new job

ps. (again) where could i find a cheap set of prothane bushings???

THanks!!!

Monday, July 21, 2014 1:10 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/t1.0-9/p417x417/10524353_804254832939587_162192456767985871_n.jpg

ok sorry it didnt wanna load..
well right now i just got into a bit of a wreck
Now i need a new hood, bumper front fenders and all new tires BUT there is a guy about 10 minutes away from me thats gonna scrap a z24 cav. ... its black so ill have to paint them,, or just paint my car,,,, plus one problem i am having is a oil leek,, im pretty sure its coming from the oil pan gasket... is that common??

and i dont know for sure what i wanna do.. i heard the z24 cavaliers had a stiffer suspension??? if that is true than when i get this other cavy, i wanna switch the suspension, and ad a rear sway bar, and shes a 4 spd auto,, ,, id really love to put a shift kit in her but i just dont have the $$$ ,,,

ps. the guy before me replaced everything suspension wise.. but my car still feels like a fricking sponge going around a corner,,,,, but as i was saying, new shocks, ball joints,,, literally everything was changed suspension wise, plus she has a new starter, water pump, i do believe a new manifold gasket, plugs , wires, battery, coil packs, and by the looks of it a new serpintine belt... so she was either well taken care of, or wrecked at one point in her life...

and again,,,, i have a super limited budget, a car with about 207xxx miles, thats just been wrecked,,, so anything anything really big is gonna have to wait till i get stable at my new job

ps. (again) where could i find a cheap set of prothane bushings???

THanks!!!

Monday, July 21, 2014 1:12 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/t1.0-9/10524353_804254832939587_162192456767985871_n.jpg

Monday, July 21, 2014 1:14 PM
ALSOOOOOOOO

my high beams wont turn on,, my headlights work perfectly but not the high beams

just replaced the switch on the column, and bulbs but nothing????????? so im gonna get the wring harness from the z24 im getting and switch it,,, think they will work than?

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 5:23 AM
Well a few questions for you. Was the suspension just replaced with OEM parts because that's a big part of your suspension issue if that's the case like mr quick said a rear sway bar, upgraded bushings would be a good start.

For suspension you're in the same boat I am with not wanting to lower your car and I can tell you that there aren't any upgraded springs for the cavalier or sunfire that won't lower your car. I'm not happy about it either. So I'm considering 2 things, either the 03+ Megan racing springs since they have a less then 2 inch drop and are pretty cheap under $150 or just waiting it out and saving up for coilovers. But like you I'm budget limited at the moment so coilovers won't happen anytime soon.

For replacing your broken stuff if at all possible try to find a parts car the same color as yours trust me I just painted a fender I dented up this winter and it can be very time consuming. You could even look for a manual car and use that for a manual trans swap too.

Finally I do to say this often but your car might actually look good with some rally stripes on the fenders or even racing stripes on the hood. You got the whole black and white look going on everywhere else but up front it's just kinda monotone so it doesn't flow right.

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE Sedan 2.2l Ecotec 4 Speed Auto.
Tuesday, July 22, 2014 10:30 AM
Z24 had a rear stiffening bar welded into the axle.

Also, count the coils on your cars springs and the ones on the Z24. Many of the Z24s (and Sunfire GTs) had stiffer springs (should be one coil less than yours), so that would be an upgrade. The Z24 will also have the front sway bar.

The headlight issue sounds like a fuse to me, not wiring.

Sunday, September 14, 2014 4:52 PM

Sunday, September 14, 2014 4:54 PM
this is currently a new picture, had an incident ran off the road and went sidways in a field around 60, hit a road sign and screw her up a bit,,, shes getting better lol, she also overheated and blew,, found out that there was oil in the throttle body,, so she has a new 2.2, but sadly i didnt do a tranny swap,,,

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search