2.2 (LN2) MAP Sensor loose? - does not seat well - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 (LN2) MAP Sensor loose? - does not seat well
Monday, September 22, 2014 5:01 PM
I was cleaning up the throttle body while still trying to banish the dreaded P0440 and my MAP sensor seems to have maybe loosened up. It really wiggles and can tilt all around but does not really pull out completely either. I thought about giving it a good pull to remove it for a better look but decided to ask here first.

I used to have a 96 Cavalier LS with the LD9 so I am still gradually getting used to the LN2. When the MAP wiggles and tilts I can kind of see what appears to be a red silicone baffled bushing where it is affixed. The wiring connector and everything else appear to be OK on it. Is this looseness normal or should it "snap" or press in to place with little to no wiggle? I cannot get it to press in any tighter.

If the MAP is supposed to be tight and if not, what kind of symptoms or codes would happen? It seems to run fine (after the big clouds of smoke from the throttle body cleaner worked their way out). The idle seems smooth enough still.

I searched this forum under "loose MAP sensor" but found nothing so I am hoping someone with experience on this part on a 2.2 can chime in. My year is a 99.

thanks!

Re: 2.2 (LN2) MAP Sensor loose? - does not seat well
Monday, September 22, 2014 7:47 PM
Mine was loose and was causing a boost leak

I took off the worn boot and wrapped a Rubber band around it till it was the size of the hole. It was snug when I popped it in.

Because of the boost level I added a shim between the back of the sensor and the bottom of the throttlebody.

The boot being worn wasn't throwing a code but it was a vacuum leak.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search