00 Sunfire. Easiest engine swap. - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
00 Sunfire. Easiest engine swap.
Tuesday, June 16, 2015 11:47 PM
Hello I am new to j-body and I hope there are still knowledgeable people that help others on this web site. I have a 2000 Sunfire that leaks oil and burns oil so basically it does everything possible to get rid of the oil. I want to swap out a different engine that is more reliable and I don't care about high performance. I was thinking about maybe a 2200 because I think trying to swap an ecotec motor into the Sunfire would be a little more difficult since I have read that it has a different belhousing.

Re: 00 Sunfire. Easiest engine swap.
Thursday, June 18, 2015 4:23 AM
The 2200 would be the easiest swap for you, but you'll need the transmission from the 2200 as well. The Ecotech isn't more difficult because of the transmission, it's because of the wiring. The ECM isn't directly compatible with the body electronics in your car. The typical swap is to replace much of the body wiring and BCM, although I believe it has been done without this recently. However, if you're looking for an easy swap for reliability, find a 2200 engine, transmission, wiring harness, and computer and swap it in. It's plug-and-play and won't require anything to be modified. They should be pretty easy to come by at a salvage yard that has a few J-bodies.

Re: 00 Sunfire. Easiest engine swap.
Thursday, June 18, 2015 9:08 PM
Hey Mr. Quick thank you very much for your response. Would you believe it turns out that my step daughter just totaled her 06 police chevy impala with a 3.9L V6 of course so I'm wondering have you ever heard of anyone putting that engine in a J-body and do you know if it would work? Thanks again for your help.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search