**Broke down**Question about third gen fuel pump/tank interchangeability. - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
**Broke down**Question about third gen fuel pump/tank interchangeability.
Saturday, October 03, 2015 9:32 PM
I'm working with my 98 cavalier sedan, 2.2OHV. What kind of pump and tanks are interchangeable? Does the pump/tank from a 2.4 Cavalier work on a 2.2OHV? And do the sedans and coupes share tank/pump parts?

The fuel pump died tonight in my Cavalier I drove about 40 miles back and forth to Philadelphia and when I started the car to come home I thought "that pump sounded weak." I kid you not, the car died right before I turned into my driveway, restarted it and sputtered into my spot. I am very lucky. 267,000 miles.

Anyway, I need to fix it ASAP, and I see the local parts stores want to really rip you off for a pump assembly. I've had too many bad experiences with Airtex for pay $230, and can't handle $400+ for a Bosch. The real deals are on Rock Auto but I need the car running by Monday. My main option is Craigslists part outs, right now the closest option is a lower mileage 2001 Sedan with a 2.4. Asking $75 for the complete fuel tank/pump assembly. This would be perfect since I could probably get it fixed tomorrow.

Re: **Broke down**Question about third gen fuel pump/tank interchangeability.
Sunday, October 04, 2015 12:07 AM
Also, any tricks to just replacing just the pump itself and not the whole assembly? I don't see just the pump forsale, but I did see this: http://www.j-body.org/faq//27/ Doesn't mention year though?
Monday, October 05, 2015 8:53 AM
Fixed it. I bought an Airtex pump assembly from Advance Auto. Their price was $262. Airtex is a vendor on Amazon and was selling the same pump for $116 with free shipping. I got an in store price match + a filter. I believe Airtex makes somewhat low/hit or miss quality pumps and would not suggest anyone use their products unless they are in a bind like this.
Saturday, October 17, 2015 6:51 PM
A little late on this post but a little information to toss out. The 3rd Gens had steel and plastic tanks. The pumps in the steel tanks will not swap with the ones in a plastic one. All pumps are basically the same aside from the tank difference regardless of engine. I myself pulled a used pump from a local salvage yard for 10 bucks and got my '02 home - it died and I went back and pulled another unit that seemed a fresh replacement pump and it has been working fine now for the past couple of months.

I discovered that it really helps to drop the rear swing-arm to gain access when dropping the tank. 2 bolts separated the rear strut assemblies and another 2 bolts for the swing arm itself....and the brake lines. I left the E-Brake cable attached.

The front tires were on double cap blocks and the rear held up with 3 tires and a wooden shim at the spare tire housing. The triple cap blocks and wooden shim under the middle of the car were for added protection but not bearing any weight. This method proved safe and made pump replacement fairly easy.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search