Engine Replace in 2004 Cavalier - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Engine Replace in 2004 Cavalier
Wednesday, March 08, 2017 7:25 AM
So, I've been driving my Cavalier for years and was just bragging about how good it ran. Well, out of nowhere....KNOCKING. Engine replace time. In looking for an engine. I found one that said, "Crate engine,less than 50 miles, 02-05 only" So I go look at the engine. Sure enough, brand new. I got this engine for,well you wouldn't believe it if I told you. I get it home and run the numbers off the ID tag. Shows to have been manufactured in 2000. "Dyno tested at the "SATURN" plant on Jan. 8,2000. I called the guy and he said he had been an instructor at Saturn. When they changed to the newer engine they had 6 of the older engines still in the crates. This is what I bought. It does spin free and has been kept inside all these years.Now...putting it in my 2004 cobalt, It all looks they same, I figure the oile pan will be different when I pull the old engine, Only difference I see is the power steering pump drive on the intake cam. The new engine does not have this. Also the engine came with a new ecm attached to the engine along with a 2.2 service manual. Now, can I get by with replacing the cams with 2004 2.2 cams and swap the oil pan and be on my way? Or is there a difference in the crankshaft sensor and if so,can I replace this with the original as well?

Re: Engine Replace in 2004 Cavalier
Wednesday, March 08, 2017 4:33 PM
Ok....it has the 7x crank trigger so that's not a problem. It also came with an l61 service manual.(very large) says compression ratio is 9.42:1. Service manual was copy write in 2001. Even though the build date says 2000 is it possible that it IS the 2002-2005 engine and it was built in 2000 for training purposes? Is there a difference in the 02-05 engine and the pre- 02 engines that would verify one way or the other?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search