transparent fade? - Image Manipulation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
transparent fade?
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 11:24 AM
i am using psp7. how do i go about saving a gif or jpg with a transparent background. i know how to do that much. but if i fade out a color when i save it saves it fading into white then a clean edge to transparent. hard to explaign.

here is some examples, obviously i just used the background color the the correct one because thats the easiest was to show how i want it to look but without using the background color of this forum . i want to be able to use the sig in a few forums all having different background colors.

what i get when i save

what i want to have when i save

thanks for the help

Re: transparent fade?
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 7:17 PM
if you are doing it for this site.... i'd just fade it into the background color. im not sure about saving as a transparent... have you searched for tutorials on it??

www.good-tutorials.com
www.photoshop101.com

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 7:49 PM
i did just save it for this site as you can see in my sig now. but i wanted to use the same one for a few forums and its stupid to have 3 different ones with different colors. specially when some forums done have a solid background color, and they alternate between one post to the next then back. like dark gray light gray dark gray light.....and so on. its just a pain.

i know how to save transparent images. just not as a fade like that .

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 10:29 PM
there is no GOOD way to do it.

transparent gifs are used, using partially transparent pixels. this means when you try to save a faded area as transparent itll cut the fade off in a very ugly way. the gif format isnt able to do smooth fading transparencies. doesnt matter what program your using.

the reason why your getting white is because yoru just doing a save as .gif. in jasc you have to EXPORT to gif and it will have a wizard where you can fine tune the partially trnasparent pixel settings.

also stop using psp7 dl the 60 day trial of psp9 trust me its MILES better than 7

/:::Creative Draft Image Manipulation Forum:::/:::J-BODY FEVER II VIDEO:::/
Thursday, February 24, 2005 9:27 AM
i know about 9, im just stubborn. i still use autocad 2000 too. because its what i know and what im best with. but change isnt always bad. maybe it IS time i upgrade

thanks for the advice, even though there IS little i can do. peace

Thursday, February 24, 2005 2:45 PM
What you are talking about is using alpha channels, basically varying levels of transparency. This can't be done with gif or jpg. It can, however, be done with png. To demonstrate, below is a png with transparency...

I am not familiar with psp, so I don't know how it is done there (or even if it can be) but in Photoshop it is quite simple - same way you do a transparent GIF - design your image as you would normally, make sure the background layer is off, go to save for web and select PNG-24 and make sure transparency is selected.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Thursday, February 24, 2005 3:05 PM
DAVE....you rock

Thursday, February 24, 2005 3:33 PM
yes and no dave.

notice how your fade goes all the way to the edge and has an abrupt cut off?

by using your method you get rid of it automatically using white as the background when trying to create a smooth fade. however you still dont get the faded transition between color and forum background.

take this iamge for example i created it, it SHOULD fade off seamlessly. but it does not. because a png export will automatically do this to the image. wont fade to 0% alpha

it fades to a certain percentage and then stops and fills the rest in with that color.

so again there is NO good way to create a transparent fade image

/:::Creative Draft Image Manipulation Forum:::/:::J-BODY FEVER II VIDEO:::/
Thursday, February 24, 2005 3:45 PM
What you speak of is a bug, you might say, in the way IE handles PNG images. Go look at this same page in Firefox, it fades correctly. Unfortunately, by default IE does not handle transparent PNG images correctly.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Thursday, February 24, 2005 4:00 PM
Thursday, February 24, 2005 4:31 PM
yup png files aren't 100% compatible on all systems and sites. which sucks!

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!

Friday, February 25, 2005 4:47 AM
photoshop 9.0 dutch edition?

did a search on the ne (cough) software store in the mall and all i could find is 9.0 dutch version.. lol anyway could b the upgrade I need lemmie know.

MESS WITH THE BEST...FALL WITH THE REST!
Proud member of the org. since 2/1/2003

Friday, February 25, 2005 6:07 AM
Hopefully the new IE if and when it comes out will fix the png thing.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search