My First Car Chop!! - Image Manipulation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My First Car Chop!!
Wednesday, July 20, 2005 9:02 AM
Hey guys I had to do this for a photoshop class (I go to the Art Institute of Pittsburgh). It was my first car chop. I know there are a couple mistakes, and things I would have fixed if I had more time.

Took me about 3 hrs.

Let me know what you think.

Starting Image
http://img288.imageshack.us/img288/105/sunfire4gv.jpg

End Result
http://img288.imageshack.us/img288/2874/sunfirefinished0rs.jpg

Bryan

Re: My First Car Chop!!
Wednesday, July 20, 2005 9:39 AM
Looks cool man keep it up that looks awsome

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Wednesday, July 20, 2005 10:53 PM
**UPDATE**

Ok I fixed all the mistakes I could find, and I did a few more things to the car. Thanks for the comments, keep them coming - constructive criticism is welcome as well.

Thanks.

New Link: http://img344.imageshack.us/img344/8006/sunfirefinished29qd.jpg

Bryan
Thursday, July 21, 2005 1:37 PM
looks good, I like the background change and the color. A few things you may want to touch up at some point though, by the rear bumper and quarterpanel, there's a piece of the original background still there. If you use the polygonal lasso tool you can get it off clean and easy. Same thing above the passenger side fender and mirror. Also, for the background change, make sure you change it in the windows as well. Right now its still the same from the donor image. You may also want to find a better wheel donor since those appear flat on here.

----------------------------------------------------------------

"One look at you, and I know why some animals eat their young."
Thursday, July 21, 2005 7:36 PM
looks good. i like the green you used. only thing i noticed is what Rmcavy mentioned....the wheels seem a little off. other then that, nice job.

Thursday, July 21, 2005 9:36 PM
Cant believe i missed those pieces of the old background!!!! Dont know how the hell i did that, it is SO noticeable.

Anyway, i know the wheels are bad - i wasnt real sure how to do them, what are some of the techniques people use?

And as for the windows, i noticed that too but i dont know how to fix it.....

Thanks for the comments guys.

Bryan
Thursday, July 21, 2005 9:53 PM
For the wheels its all about finding a good donor image really. You want an image with a high resolution if possible so it will remain clear when resized and will not appear grainy. And most importantly, make sure they are at least close to the same angle, or they will look off and/or flat. You also will need to add in shadows to the top of the wheels if you are going to make them tuck. That is, if they weren't already.

The windows are trickier, the only way I've found to do them is to repaint the new background in over where the old one shows. Just make sure you leave in the interior of the car. Dash, wheel, pillars, all that stuff. Then you'll have to play with the brightness and contrast of what you painted in so it will appear to be through a tinted window or whatever. It'll take some practice to get it lookin decent, so no worries if it doesn't look perfect right away.

Hopefully this will help you out a little..

----------------------------------------------------------------

"One look at you, and I know why some animals eat their young."
Thursday, July 21, 2005 9:53 PM
don't worry about missing those pieces. it's your first one. i tend to miss things that are really noticeable. that's what i got you guys for

techniques for tires.....i'm still trying to master that skill. if there is a technique, i don't know what it is.

and i don't really know how to fix the windows either. i haven't really done one with a background change yet.

Friday, July 22, 2005 1:22 PM
In addition to what rmcavy said, it'll also help to add a shadow at the top and left sides of the new grill insert. Just select the inserts, make a new layer and take a low opacity black brush around the top edge and left edge, making it darker alongside the paint edge. Then blur it out some to fade it and you're set.

The rims definately need work, one of the most important things about rims are the angle of your donor image. If the angle isn't just about perfect, then they'll appear off. In fact, if you'll notice your front rim, it should probably be flipped horizontal to make it look right. Also, make sure to do the front and rear rim seperately. Don't simply copy the front rim back and distort it.

Your selections though (which noobs commonly screw up) are very good. Good job on a first chop overall!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search