Possible Tattoo Idea.. anyone wanna help? - Image Manipulation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Possible Tattoo Idea.. anyone wanna help?
Wednesday, June 30, 2010 11:16 AM
I have an initial idea.. but not sure I'm quite feeling it yet. I love the idea but I think the design could use a little help.

Background story is I just graduated from Ohio State with a BS in Aviation. I overcame quite a few things to get to graduate and I'll be the first in my family with an actual 4 year degree, and this will be my grad present to myself. I'd like to do something incorporating the Block O (since I have loved OSU since I was a little kid and I went there) and something aviation related, hence the pilot wings. I'm trying to make it not look cheesy. I also like the quote I put in there "To some the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation; the sky is home." Here was my initial design I created in PS, if anyone is bored and wants to tweak it a little somehow. I attached the PS file and the JPEG. If anyone could help me out it would be much appreciated.

Re: Possible Tattoo Idea.. anyone wanna help?
Wednesday, June 30, 2010 1:25 PM
I like the idea, but like you said the design needs help. That looks too cartoonish. Take that idea to a local tattoo shop here, im sure they will make that look sweet.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Wednesday, June 30, 2010 1:54 PM
Why not make the quote "To some, the sky is the limit. To others, the sky is home."

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 2:48 PM
WHITECAVY wrote:I like the idea, but like you said the design needs help. That looks too cartoonish. Take that idea to a local tattoo shop here, im sure they will make that look sweet.

That was exactly my issue with it.. There are a ton of tattoo shops around here.. I might do that and see what they can do with it. Just seein if anyone around here had any ideas they would sketch up if they were bored.

twiztidhybrid wrote:Why not make the quote "To some, the sky is the limit. To others, the sky is home."

It's an actual quote from somebody but that's a really good idea to make it a little more even on the text.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 3:50 PM

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 4:04 PM
Here are some with bigger wings.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 4:35 PM

I love this design. Possibly shading in the wings grey, and possibly doing red or all black on the very top of the wing. Anyways, this is just what I was looking for.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 4:58 PM
I'm thinking something like this... great design.. thanks again!

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 7:05 PM
The design/logo is very bold, and the text is very soft.. it doesn't look right to me. For some reason I feel like a more realistic style wing would look better... or a different text. Depends on what you're going for.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 7:13 PM
im not sure about the design but OSU FTW lol

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 7:15 PM
I styled the wings directly from pilot wings.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 7:26 PM

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 7:47 PM
una mas

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 9:03 PM
here's my take

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 9:09 PM
ive been thinking about it just put Brutus with wings and then the quote lol..

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 9:25 PM

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 10:02 PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, July 01, 2010 9:26 AM

Thursday, July 01, 2010 4:56 AM
Joe, imma kick yo ass you post some CRAP like that again! lol

Drawings look great guys!! I like most of them posted

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Friday, July 02, 2010 12:22 AM
coming from a tattoo artist [myself] the best out of these is what Joviticus posted. put some drop shading behind the letters and add a curve to them so they arent just at a straight angle and you will be set
Friday, July 02, 2010 10:32 PM
i just cropped the wings from one of my tattoos, i think it looks sweet, but i tend to have a thing for wings

Friday, July 02, 2010 10:45 PM
Right after i got the wings shaded

Saturday, July 03, 2010 8:09 AM
I really like that design, but personally I'm leaning towards the pilot wings just because of my major. Plus it's only gonna be about 6-8 between my shoulder blades or I'm considering doing it on my left pec, where normal pilot wings would be worn. That is a nice tattoo though man, I like it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, July 03, 2010 8:09 AM

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 1:48 PM
i more like the design jovictus did. looks more like a tattoo design then the others. others look like plastic wings a kid would get. think most people will understand the meaning regardless of wether they look like the kids winds pilots hand out. id go with what david suggested though and take it to a quality shop to draw up.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Thursday, July 15, 2010 1:23 PM
I understand the wings he is using, it is a standard aviation thing, look up marine pilot wings etc tehy all look similar, the toys follow the real thing on this one.

I think the michigan logo would be a good addition too.

Saturday, July 17, 2010 1:18 PM
Yeah, Mike is right.. it's standard for aviation, I like the straight bold look of it too with those wings, I think I decided on the Stencil font too. Thanks for all the help. I'm gonna take it to a few places and get some quotes.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search