Post Mortem… or why I blew a head gasket. - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Post Mortem… or why I blew a head gasket.
Tuesday, July 26, 2005 6:48 AM
I’ve found a few items of interest during the process of rebuilding the engine/car, and figured I’d share.

The fuel cell feed line (inside the cell) had swelled from the C-16 and was loose on the barb fitting, potentially sucking air and making the car lean. This one is a stretch because I run the fuel cell pretty full, but still not good.

Upon first starting the rebuilt engine, it was idling on three cylinders. Turns out #2 exhaust pipe was cold (the same cylinder that squirted out the head gasket). Pulled a couple of injectors, cleaned them, swapped them around, and like magic the car ran fine. The rail and fuel system then got a complete flushing and I did find some little flakes of chit in it. How it got passed the filter I have no idea.

I sent the solenoids off for PWM cycle testing and a leak check. It turns out the fuel solenoid is leak free, but the nitrous solenoid was leaking at 27cc / min. That helps to explain KQ4 Jake's 11.87 on a theoretical 40 shot programmed into the controller.

Sooo....

Check your fuel pressure and make sure you have enough pump (fuel volume) for your shot size. Also it wouldn’t hurt to send the injectors off for cleaning, a flow check, and balancing. Marren can take care of that for about $25 each.

Change your fuel filter often if you’re spraying.

If you’ve had your kit awhile, rebuild your solenoids, or at least send them for a leak check. The seal rings do wear out.

The bottom line is beware of anything that could contribute to making your system run lean, but you all know that by now.

Re: Post Mortem… or why I blew a head gasket.
Tuesday, July 26, 2005 9:06 PM
Shouldent your subject say

Why Jake blew a head gasket? LOL JK.

Good pointers...... let me know when you go to the track again... will be nice to see how much faster you will be running this year.....

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search