Series I V6 Nitrous Set-up Questions - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Series I V6 Nitrous Set-up Questions
Tuesday, September 27, 2005 1:36 PM
I have a 1993 3800 Series I (L-27) V6 X with port injection. I'm having trouble choosing between the ZEX dry or wet system. Essentially I would like up to and including 100HP, but no more.

Some say the dry system (#82011) is perfectly fine on this engine. Others say the wet system (#82021) would be more appropriate (tapping into the Schrader valve on the fuel rail to supply fuel with the nitrous).

Questions:
1) As the throttle body and MAF are integral, it looks like I would have to install the nozzle immediately downstream of the butterfly by drilling/tapping the plastic plenum. Is this a concern?
2) Is this engine robust enough for a 100HP shot a few times a week (ya right)?
3) How about the NOS system versus the ZEX?

If you know of another forum where these questions might be more appropriate, let me know please. Anybody have any answers/suggestions I would appreciate it...

Simon

Re: Series I V6 Nitrous Set-up Questions
Tuesday, September 27, 2005 2:09 PM
I would opt to get a wet kit because it adds fuel as well which in turn helps eliminate the possibility of going lean. you should be fine with 100shot. How well was the motor maintained milage? , etc, etc. What car are you going to spray?

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 4:03 PM
The engine is a relatively new GM short block replacement installed late last year.

The vehicle is a 93' Lumina APC minivan that has been extensively modified suspension-wise. An alternative to zero aftermarket performance parts availability (being a Series I, nothing is offered after looking very hard) would be installing a supercharged version of the same engine and the electronics from a donor car (like the Park Ave., Bonneville, etc). A lot of work!

I think you are right regarding a wet system, however my big concern is the fact that the MAF/IAS/air valve are all one unit. The nozzle itself will have to be just downstream of the air valve. Not much room downstream to install the injector, however it can be installed into the plenum without much fuss. The concern being whether there is still adequate room to mix properly before entering each of the individual runners (this engine came with port injection).

The other scenario is installing a wet nozzle upstream of the MAF/IAS/air valve, but I am being told that this will compromise (read damage) the heated element in the MAF! This in itself I would think would cool the intake charge telling the PCM to request more fuel (maybe too much) ...
Tuesday, September 27, 2005 5:03 PM
Questions:
1) As the throttle body and MAF are integral, it looks like I would have to install the nozzle immediately downstream of the butterfly by drilling/tapping the plastic plenum. Is this a concern?
2) Is this engine robust enough for a 100HP shot a few times a week (ya right)?
3) How about the NOS system versus the ZEX?

1) you should be ine 6" or so away from the Throttle body.
2) Yes you should be how ever the higher the shot the greater the risk personally you will love a 75 shot.
3) %$ck NOS (usually over priced), %$ck Zex (personally don't like them and have heard bad things).

WET OR DRY? It's your motor and wet is much safer and you will get a better gain.

NX or ZEX? NX all the way baby

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 6:11 AM
Since your maf/tb is all one and from the sound of it there is no room, the only logical thing would to be going toward a directport setup. LOL my grandpa had one of those vans. His waas a 93 and hit it with the riding mower when i was little....memories.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 1:08 PM
I talked to most of the nitrous systems manufacturers, here is a brief summary:

ZEX:
"A dry system will work justfine up to and including 100HP, but I recommend you use our wet system".
- to me there is no feedback on the wet system on whatever the control module is doing to increase fuel pressure by diddling with the OEM regulator. I suspect an algorythmn (general in nature) is attempting to supply extra fuel at the injectors, but there is no way to gauge for sure (other than dyno and O2 sensor - I don't think the current crop of wideband O2 sensors are quick enough...am I wrong?).

Edelbrock:
"Go ahead and use a dry system, after speaking to our engineers they state that there is more than adequate fuel control/reserves on that particular engine/fuel system to make a 75HP shot no problem. As far as the nozzle placement, install it in front of the TB/MAF ensor body, but on the opposite side of the MAF element".
- this gentleman was the most helpfull, apparently taking the time to consult with company engineers to determine whether my rather obscur engine could utlize nitrous. The fact that they knew the MAF element was offset is a good indicator they knew something about this particular powerplant.

NX:
"We do not believe in, nor sell, dry systems. As your TB/MAF/IAS are all one unit, we "think" it would be possible to mount it just downstream of the TB without a problem. HOWEVER, the question is whether you will have enough plenum area to adequately mix before entering individual runners...".

NOS:
"Using a wet system with so little plenum area might not be a good thing given the number opportunities for fuel to de-atomize/pool within the composite manifold. A backfire might blow the plastic right off. I suggest you are safer up to a 100 shot with a dry system".

Summary:
It would seem the safer route is a wet system, but proper mixing and adequate supplemental fuel delivery is unpredictable. Not sure where to go from here....
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 1:17 PM
I forgot to add that NOS's system puts a tee in the vacuum line to the regulator and pressurizes it to deliver (in his words) 75-80psi at the injector.

In other words the return line is effectively pressurized within the vacuum line. Interestingly, it is not dead-headed, but still bleeds through an orifice within the tee into the to vacuum line, back through to the distribution head, and back into the intake flow.

if one were to encounter too much supplemental fuel (what are the odds), one could enlarge that restriction, effectively reducing the artificial pressure and the resultant higher pressure at the injectors.

When I pressed whether it "totally" pressurizes the regulator to it's limit, or somewhere in between, he indicated to the limit (turning the regulator as off as it can get).

I guess ZEX's system must do something similar...anybody know precisely?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search