Why NOS - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Why NOS
Friday, October 21, 2005 12:48 AM
Hey everyone. I'm a newbie to JBO. I was going to get the GM charger for my LD9 but came up a little short on cash. I was thinking about a wet system but I've had a bad experience with nitrous before and I'm still very skeptical on it. I ran a cheap dry kit on my old car that included a line,a bottle, and a solenoid that plugged into the lighter and used a push button to activate. About a week later I noticed that every time I started my car and backed out of somewhere it suddenly got really foggy. I was going through over 3 CASES of oil a month. I didn't even bother with oil changes anymore. The car was in mint shape with 62K on it when I ran it. Back then of course I didn't know allot about nitrous or getting colder plugs or ignition upgrades. I did use 93 octane thou. I was wondering if you guys would have any compelling stories or info to change my skeptical view on Nitrous. I think what I'm really looking for is for someone to tell me that this wont happen again . I was planning on going with a ZEX wet 55 shot. My precautions would be a Jacobs Nitrous Mastermind, MSD ignition, colder plugs, and a air/fuel gauge. I was planning on retarding my timing by 2 degrees with the Mastermind. Any and all info is appreciated, thanks.

Re: Why NOS
Friday, October 21, 2005 4:58 AM
Quote:

I ran a cheap dry kit

thats part of the problem there. when modding a car, dont be cheap on parts.
i have a NX wet kit. iran mostly a 55 shot all year. ran 75 a few times. had higher octane gas and colder plugs. thats about it. some have been brave enough to run the 100 shot on just high octane gas and colder plugs.
if you have the right parts, have it installed it right, and dont spray every 5 seconds then you should be ok

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Friday, October 21, 2005 7:02 PM
Think about it, you are putting something that is known to cause detonation to a car into a car anyway without any precautions and getting a cheap kit, sh!ts gonna happen! If you do it right, like it sounds like you are NOW, you shouldn't have any problems. The thing that gets me about nitrous is the constant need for a fill and its not readily available around in my area. Also, if you ever get the change for the SC, you can adapt it to that as a dry shot. Or upgrade it to a wet shot direct port for about 200 bucks. I have a wet shot but it was too much of a pain tryin to get it all the time. The night that I used an entire bottle was the night that I realized that its just too expensive. Got the charger and am gonna hook it up again when I get a chance. WHEN I GET MY DAMN CAR RUNNING RIGHT! ARRRRGGGHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good luck man! Do it right the first time and you won't be sorry later

Scott

When I boost, you boost, we boost
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You have been banned from NEJBODY.
You've displayed wayyy too many acts of pushing people to their limits.
It's never cool to tear people down for what they want to do.
NEJBODY is a team. We're not the same as JBO where everyone bashes on eachother.
I'm surprised you show up to our meets after half of the things you say on here.
Friday, October 21, 2005 7:14 PM
I have not had a single problem on my 01 2200 I spray a 75 wet with colder plugs, 92 or higher and no ignition mods besides coils. I have gone through 12 bottles and the last 7-8 have all been 75. I've had my kit on my car for about 3 months. I normally go through at least 1 bottle a week.

Read up on nitrous before you get a kit. I spent about 2 months researching and reading books on nitrous theroy and plumming. There are so many ways to set up a kit they can be pretty much idiot proof. Nitrous is not an evil power adder, it only gets a bad wrap because some people are incompitant or don't double check their install. Ans the most important thing is not to cheap out on performance parts that can add serious power.

Lots of guys will be more than happy to answer any questions you have. Just let us know what you need.

Jeff.

Friday, October 21, 2005 8:07 PM
Quote:

I think what I'm really looking for is for someone to tell me that this wont happen again .

I don't think that you will ever find some one to tell you that a blown engine or damaged pistion rings/ valves ect... won't happen again.

However if done right the first time the chances are going to go down. Make sure to do the nessary mods to go along with what ever kit you buy. Some kits will give some guide lines as well as a list of things that can happen.

My personal experience has been good I am running a 2 stage dirrectport 75shot first stage 150 shot second stage. I run 75 shot all through 1st gear and most of second due to wheel spin and run the 150 in 3rd and 4th. I have a built 2.4 and have ran atleast 13 bottles through my motor.

I use colder plugs, at least a 100 octane, minimum of 900 psi bottle pressure, retarded timing 5 degress when the nitrous is activated, constant fuel pressure. ect...

The ammount of variables more my set up are quite a few, but with the proper reserch and purchase of a good quality dry or wet kit you hopefully will have a good experience with n2o this time arround.

Friday, October 21, 2005 9:50 PM
id rather get the absolute best when dealing with nitrous

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Saturday, October 22, 2005 3:49 PM
Rodimus Prime wrote:id rather get the absolute best when dealing with nitrous

BINGO (fuel pressure regulators, all necessariy fuel and spark mods, continuous check ups on plugs and compression, wideband a/f gauge. etc.)

Quote:

I ran a cheap dry kit on my old car

Problem # 1 ^

Quote:

and a solenoid that plugged into the lighter

Huge problem #2 (ebay scam kit?)

Quote:

I didn't even bother with oil changes anymore

Please never do that again ^

Quote:

My precautions would be a Jacobs Nitrous Mastermind, MSD ignition, colder plugs, and a air/fuel gauge. I was planning on retarding my timing by 2 degrees with the Mastermind. Any and all info is appreciated, thanks.

Sounds like your on the right track now, but you don't need ta adjust your timing all the time especially with a 55 shot. Go wet for sure, I'd check out NX if I were you (they are the best IMO), You def. need to take your time doing a A LOT of research. Not just for how it works or how to hook it up but also on how to drive with it. Example REV LIMITER + Spray = Most likley KABOOM. So be careful take your time and RESEARCH AL YOU CAN!!!

Good luck

Saturday, October 22, 2005 8:13 PM
A mastermind is designed for a vehicle that usues a distributor! SO it wouldn't work with a coil system like used on J-bodies. Good try though! Thought for a sec I found a great alternative for the MSD DIS-II...........

P.s- I would LOVE for someone to prove me wrong because I have $250 in my hand right now.

N2O + Bolt-ons = 220Hp/250Tq

Coming Soon:HpTunersPro, EagleConnectingRods, WiescoPistons, 13sec2200

Sunday, October 23, 2005 12:39 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I think I found one of the bigger problems I did wrong the first time. The kit I bought was designed to be used with a MAF sensor so it would automaticaly add more fuel. I didn't have a MAF sensor
I just found a ZEX wet direct port system (55-200 shot) and it's only $50 more than the wet ($590 free ship for direct port). I want to be as safe as possible so I think I'm going to go with that kit. I'm not sure about the stock intake manifold thou. Can it be used for direct port or is it to thin to hold the nozzels in securley?

Quote:

you don't need ta adjust your timing all the time especially with a 55 shot.

For a 55 shot I shouldn't retard my timming at all then?
Quote:

Huge problem #2 (ebay scam kit?)

Actually if you go to Compucars website they still sell the kit. It's called the "street heat" or something like that. I'm going to put it on ebay and sell it to some poor soul

Quote:

A mastermind is designed for a vehicle that usues a distributor!

That sucks. I was wondering why no results showed up when I did a forum search.
I'll have to buy a window switch, and a fuel pressure safety cut-off switch seperate then.

I have a MSD 6A currently, what is the biggest difference between MSD DIS-II and that?

Anybody know where you can buy a full A-pillar with dual or tripple gauge pods? Or is there a better place to put the gauges.
Sunday, October 23, 2005 3:44 PM
Quote:

Actually if you go to Compucars website they still sell the kit. It's called the "street heat" or something like that. I'm going to put it on ebay and sell it to some poor soul

Thats what I mean. all reputable big time N20 companies would never have there solenoid plug into the cig lighter. Trust me you see the difference in quality when buy a good kit. As far as the direct port goes It's great if you get it all hooked up properly. But if you plan on running only a 55 shot you are fine with a plan ol wet shot.

Friday, October 28, 2005 10:20 PM
When I hit third gear at around 70mph I think that my clutch is slipping. Thats the only time it does it. The car hasn't been driven for 3 months so maybe that has something to do with it. Should I replace it before running nitrous?

Saturday, October 29, 2005 8:07 PM
Why do you think the clutch is slipping in third? If anything i would think you would notice it the most on a hard launch in first.
Can you describe what is happening?

Saturday, October 29, 2005 9:21 PM
yup what he said^^ cause once you in gear you in gear you mostly notice it in first off the launch

Monday, October 31, 2005 10:04 AM
When I almost red-line 2nd and shift into third(not power shifting) the engine revs and then the rpm's drop back down. It doesn't jerk like my old car did, it's very smooth, too smooth for a stick. It feels like it's an automatic almost. But I only notice this in third, after almost redlining 2nd.
Monday, October 31, 2005 11:38 PM
I dont know what to tell you then. It only does this on the 2 to 3 shift at red line?

Tuesday, November 01, 2005 12:59 AM
Yea it's really weird. It hasn't been doing it as bad lately. Maybe it did have something to do with the car sitting in a parking lot for 3 months. I'm so low on cash right now that a signed up for a physical to donate plasma. In about 3 to 4 months I should have all the cash for a safe nitrous system. I'm not in any hurry seeing how it's going to snow soon. I figure I'll get some bolt-on's in the mean time while I wait for the leafs to grow back. What kind of bolt-on's would go good with a nitrous setup?
Wednesday, November 02, 2005 3:31 PM
Im a big fan of nitrous but even with all the proper upgrades i still killed my engine so just keep in mind that no matter what you do something can always still go wrong... detonation is the only real danger lol this is what happens

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2090440
Wednesday, November 02, 2005 4:28 PM
What size shot were you running to do that ?

Wednesday, November 02, 2005 5:36 PM
Wednesday, November 02, 2005 8:42 PM
I would suggest anything that will help increase flow in and out of the motor. Things like a header and full exhaust or an intake with a tb. Mainly the exhaust side though because of the increase in exhaust flow when using nitrous. Don't forget ignition mods as well.

Hey nate how many bottles have you gone through?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search